Wednesday, February 11, 2009

'Petra down the rabbit hole

Photobucket

Like everyone I've had my share of ups and downs over the years. Since the world obviously revolves around me, I think I had more downs than most. That's not the case, there a lot of people out there that are and/or have been far worse off than me. Still when things aren't going your way - for some time, you start to think the universe is against you. I should explain.

Through most of my childhood and up until only about 5 years ago I was very unlucky. I couldn't get a proper job, couldn't get an internship, was fairly poor and spent a summer as a janitor painting radiators in classrooms just to make a little bit of money so I could keep my flat. It wasn't a good time, and before that I had other stuff going on. Then about 5 years ago things changed. I remember the night before everything turned right like it was last night. Odd, as I tend to forget things easiely. Where am I going with this? I'm being vague, which is because the story isn't really about all my downs. That's for another time.

I was out of work at the time after having managed to not quit my internship and finished after two years with good recommendations and decent grades. Still, I'd not secured a job. That's where one of my friends came in. He asked me to give him an application and a CV so he could give it to his boss. They were looking for someone and even though the job was dull and only a temporary position it was better than nothing. Three days later I had been to an interview and was hired. I started four days later and they hired me permanently. Anyway the night after the interview I did something embarrassing and pathetic. I don't remember ever praying since I was around ten and was faking it with my parents. My promise was, that if I got that job I would give up ever falling in love. So far the large in charge has kept his promise. I've still got a job, and I haven't been in love.

My first job in the company was checking signatures and sending money to car dealerships. I was in that team for 2 years. Then I was encouraged to apply for another position doing almost the same thing but with more responsibilities in a company they owned. I applied and got the job. I was there for 1½ and then that company was absorbed and dissolved. My colleagues and I were divided and set in different teams and I was the remnants of the old company doing all those bits and approving car loans. I had no idea what I was doing and the pressure was getting to me. My former boss then came to me and offered me the job I have now in Copenhagen. We do boat loans and I take care of the administrative bits of that.

So for the past five years it's been more ups than anything. To be honest I couldn't have been happier about the direction my career has taken but I would have never guessed it would lead me here. Even my personal life hasn't been bad. I've got some great friends, albeit most of them are very far away now we do see each other and talk a lot.

Then in late November I was back at the main office on the day of the company Christmas party and we got an email. Someone from the debt recovery team quit her job to do something rather. I read the email thinking "good for her" and that was it. At the party that night I was placed opposite one of the girls from that team and she said she thought I should apply for the job. I said no, I was happy where I was and all that. She kept insisting but I still said no. I had no plans to change jobs.

Over the next week I thought more and more about my current job and life. My job wasn't really all that fantastic but I love living in Copenhagen. Yet I ended up calling the teamleader and once I started talking I couldn't stop. She said yes and no when appropriate and thanked me for the interest I'd shown. Later that day I wrote her an email applying for the job.

A week later the job description was officially posted within the company and I waited. And waited. And waited. Then I got an email from the department manager who wanted to let me know they hadn't forgotten me but they had to post the job officially within the bank corp.

He asked me to call him because he would like to talk to me about it. So I called him and we talked for a good half hour. His problem apart from having to post the job officially was that I'd gotten rave reviews by my current boss and he didn't think the team would last long without me as my colleagues are administravely challenged. They had to take that into account and because of this there was a chance I wouldn't get the job. At least he was honest, I thought, and braced myself for the worst.

Then one day I got an email from the guy asking me to call him because they were ready to talk. I was reminded of a salary clause I'd signed upon taking my current job (I hate clauses! but I love YOU Santa, I really do!) and that would come into effect if I took the job. Oh well, what's £600 before tax per month anyway. I said yes, we then had a meeting at the main office with all my colleagues, the news was announced and I was happy. So was my new team, which I'm joining on March 16.

I've got a new flat, cancelled the rental agreement on my current flat, my old doctor wants to take me back and everything is running smooth. My friend has invited me - all expenses paid to London to see the old hag Madonna pretend she's 20 still this summer and in August I'm going to America for 3 weeks with another friend (I'm paying my own way on that last trip).

Suddenly I'm finding myself on this wave and it feels good but it's also quite dangerous at the same time so I'm trying to look kool and graceful while I'm doing this knowing full well I could tumble under this any minute. Why it's going so well I don't know, maybe I've started trusting my instincts.

Because instinct is always right. Right?

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations Pete!!!
    But does this mean you can never fall in love?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this is brilliant news. Forget 'dangerous'- it's exciting and you are going to have some great experiences which will give you great memories.
    What can go wrong that you couldn't deal with?
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what city will you be in?

    *tries to read between lines*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done you! How exciting - and what a wonderful thing to be told that you were indispensable! And even better that you got the new position!

    Hurrah for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scarlet: Thanks so much.

    I wouldn't know what I'm missing out on if I never will.

    KAZ: Thanks so much. Oh, I could get sacked. That would be pretty devastating for me.

    MJ: Planning a visit?

    Tim: Thank you very much!

    Being indispensable is not something I've ever wanted. I like having someone as backup when I'm off on holidays. In my current position I don't have that.

    Now I have to train the others in my tasks and that's not going to be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So what's Petra's Palace going to be about... most mysterious... and erm.. Petra used to be a Blue Peter dog....????
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds excellent Pete , your hard work and dilligence has paid off , well done you :-)
    Whats the new flat liek ??

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations, sugar! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's wonderful, Pete! Good for you! I am sure everything will go just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Splendid news, Petra! Will you have to wear the powder blue dress and white apron, though?

    Just remember: New job, new people, new... 'interests'. Maybe you'll find love, too? I'm sure the Statute of Limitations has expired on your old prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scarlet: I used to be a Blue Peter dog? Oh my!

    So far I'm just toying with some ideas. We'll see.

    Beastie: Thanks.

    The flat is fabulous. Did you need to ask? Oh, ok. You'll find out when I move in.

    Savannah: Thank you darling!

    Ponita: Thank you sweetie. I hope so.

    IDV: I have a feeling my former 'interests' may surface again.

    I think the white apron is optional.

    ReplyDelete