Wednesday, December 23, 2009

It's cooking time!

I love cooking, and the sophisticated way of baking, you know, the kind where you don't get your hands dirty. Just pop stuff into a bowl and mix it up, and into the oven. Et voĆ­la, fabulous baked goods! Christmas is a good time for that.

First of I just want to show you my fabulous marcipan treats, that I'm giving to my parents because I made the mistake of adding fruit flavoured stuff to it, and I simply can't keep it down.

Photobucket

It's just one of the jollies you get around the holidays.

Now on to what's really the matter. In Denmark we celebrate Christmas on the 24th because, we all know that's the correct day. We eat candy and other goodies all day long, watch TV, stress about the duck slowly roasting in the oven and guests start invading your home. The dinner at my parents house was the traditional roast duck, pork roast with cracklings, white potatoes, brown (or candied) potatoes and red cabbage. For dessert we always had ris a la mande or rice pudding with almonds topped with warm cherry sauce on top. Nobody can make that but your own mother. That's what they say, and my mothers is famous far and wide for being the best.

Why tamper with perfection? I won't be getting into that, when I'm celebrating Christmas in my own home this year. My parents are celebrating with evil bro and his spawn of satan this year. I like doing it alone, which is why I started my own traditions. This year I'm making Christmas cheesecake. How about that! There isn't much Christmas about it except it will be consumed at Christmas. This is how you do it - it's fairly easy!

Photobucket

You need what you see above

½ liter of cream (for whipping not beating, because it's eggs you beat)
200 gram of Digestive biscuits
125 gram of butter
200 gram of cream cheese (no added flavours or garlic cheesecake anyone?)
1 deciliter of icing sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla sugar

One

Photobucket

Melt butter, and while that happens you bash the Digestive biscuits. I like to put them in a bag and bash them with a rolling pin while yelling "why are you home so late?" and "were you out having fun with the guys, I'll give you FUN!". You could also mix it up, or if you don't have a rolling pin, put them in a bag and slam it against the cupboards repeatedly while yelling "go back to that tramp again, you two-timing bastard!". Or you could go diva and scream "No wire hangers EVER!". I like that last one combined with the rolling pin.

Two

Photobucket

Mix the bashed Digestive biscuit into the butter and stir (simply just stir it Una) into the melted butter

Three

Photobucket

Put the bashed Digestive (now with the added glory of the butter) into one of those springform pans (the ones where the sides are detachable) and store in cool place until later

Four

Photobucket

Mix the cream cheese, vanilla sugar and icing sugar in a bowl. Come on everyone, say it with me - Your gravy is lumpy Pam, then simply just stir it Una! No lumps for us.

Five

Whip the cream - where's Indy when you need him! Unlike melting butter, I'm sure you all know how to make whipped cream. You cannot use the crap from the cans.

Six

Photobucket

Mix a bit of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Just whisk away, this is no time to be gentle. I'm from the Nigella style of cooking where we aren't too careful about licking or whipping.

Six - continued

Photobucket

Fold the rest of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture, first not so gentle, but then be more and more gentle as you add the rest. We want it to be light and airy. Like my brain when I see tinsel.

Uuuuuh! Tinsel!!

Um, where was I?

Oh yes!

Seven

Photobucket

Bring out the springform pan with the Digestive biscuit crust. It's cooled down a bit now. The task is now to add the cream cheesy whipped cream filling into the pan. Don't be too fussy about the look of it. It's not meant to be all neat. Make it rustic if you like.

Eight

Photobucket

Wrap it up, and put it in the fridge until tomorrow.

Ok, because I know you are curious, this is the rest of my fridge

Photobucket

Tomorrow before you consume it, you can decorate it. In the original recipe it says to add black currant jam and chopped pistachios. I however, have had much success adding French unsweetened black cherry jam on top.

My response to whatever you add?

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. I prefer it the way it was, without all the extras.

26 comments:

  1. I have fridge contents envy...
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S... are you like the Queen and not visiting my blog anymore?
    hummf...
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you have fridge envy?

    You have your lovely Smeg.

    PS. I'm the DIVA, and I've been too busy acting all diva to visit most blogs lately. Sorry dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scarlet, he's been uppity ever since he won the High Maintenance Queen competition.

    CyberPoof: We all know how much you like sweets but I'm looking at photo #1 and noticing just how much you LOVE sweets.

    Really, that was uncalled for.

    Have you no self-control?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you mean the missing treats?

    Well, I had to test them to see if the chocolate was still sticky. That's my story and I'm, um, sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you read my blog then you'd know why I have fridge contents envy. Tut.

    ...he has turned rather uppity of late, MJ, hasn't he... and what has happened to the Elf Shorts... that's what I'd like to know.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...I reckon he's got a man and he's got all cocky.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fine, be that way you two.

    I'll leave you two to discuss it further.

    ReplyDelete
  9. CYBERPOOF: I mean it looks like you splooged all over them!

    SCARLET: I reckon he's only days away from smug marriedness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got all cocky?

    Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ewww to the splooge?

    Or the smug marriedness?

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS typical you, focusing on the that instead of the fabulous post I created with lovely food, a recipe for a fabulous cheesecake and the lovely movie quotes.

    The shame, MJ! The shame!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So who are you sharing your Christmas creamy stuff with then Pete????
    Sx
    Don't think I haven't noticed the lack of information about your love life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. His hand, Miss Scarlet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. CyberPoof: You really DID set me up to trash your lovely post with that splooge photo.

    You were asking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear, Miss Scarlet.

    I do believe he's having a sulk now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blimey... he's actually visited my blog... and then complained about the music. I suppose I should be grateful.
    But where are the freakin' green elf shorts? Did Mr Coppens ever get them?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmmmmmmm... Marzipan chocolates. What a fabulous idea - I wish I'd made some for SP, now. Still, not to late.
    Love the lovely cheesecake, too.

    It doesn't need sieving, Una. Just stir it!

    Yes, hurry up and get rid of those 'Shorts. I want to update the map!

    ReplyDelete
  19. And is there only one bottle of Champagne in your fridge? One?! Did you have an 'accident' with all the others?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to see you didn't forget the Piskeflode.

    I bet IDV's chocolate balls aren't as successful as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The sweets look delicious!!! And I'm usually not a sweets person--I'm more of a salty/spicy foods kind of guy. But I'll eat some wonderful looking, tasty treats!

    Where are the smoked salmon and pickled herring in your fridge?


    Thanks for all the laughs and for being supportive this year.
    Happy Holidays,

    -----((*))--
    ------*o*---
    ----*o*o*--
    --*o*o*o*o*
    o*o*-]o[-*o*o

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, CP!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Merry Christmas my little Danish pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A Verrry Merry Merry to you

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Fabulous!

    I just thought I'd drop in with bottle of Champers to help you out with that cheesecake.

    We also had duck and red cabbage (amongst other things), I think it's far more tasty than turkey (bleugh).

    It's kind of you to offer me marzipan, but I really couldn't, I'll just have the cheesecake.

    Don't make it a small slice.

    Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  25. MJ, Miss Scarlet & Miss IDV: Are you gals quite finished yet?

    IDV: It's not even proper Champagne, it's just Cava.

    I know, the shame!

    Tim: Quite right, my balls are better than IDVs.

    Bingowings: I never eat pickled herring at home, and smoked salmon is more of a new years eve kind of food.

    Happy holidays to you too, and thanks for popping by.

    MJ: Happy Christmas to you too, my dealer of all things filthy.

    Donnnn: Thanks dahrrrrling! And a very merry to you too.

    Roses: Heya dahrrrling

    Mmmmmm holiday food is the best, isn't it just. Champagne is the perfect companion.

    Mwah mwah and cheers dear!

    ReplyDelete