Sunday, August 01, 2010

Sibling rivalry*

I was looking for a photo earlier on my old blog and now feel like I've become really boring. That was never my intention.



Or for that matter to be posting so rarely. I guess I just lost my blogging mojo.

Anyway, I went to my fathers birthday party the other day. He turned 66 or 67 or something like that. The actual number never came up, so I guess I have something in common with my father afterall.

My evil bro was also at the party. It was actually more of a dinner for a very select group of people, rather than a party because my father doesn't like being the center of attention. Well, my parents were not only taking care of their own dog

Photobucket

but also my cousins dog Gizmo

Photobucket

This became quite the discussion of the night because from the moment I entered the front door to the moment I left, both dogs were competing for my affection. Since my parents were playing favorites to their own, I of course decided to spend time with Gizmo. Out of defiance mostly, but also because Gizmo reminds me of a stuffed animal I had as a boy.

As I tried to divide my attention to both dogs equally I noticed the surly expressions on my parents dog and it wasn't pretty. Not long after they were taking turns trying to mount each other as dogs do. I'm told. Showing who has the power to dominate. It wasn't pretty.

After my evil bro came, the trash talking of Gizmo got worse, because evil bro hates that dog. Not because it's evil, or bites or anything like that. While my parents called Gizmo chunky and such, evil bro called him ugly, smelly and stupid. Granted, Gizmo doesn't know how to play. He just looked at you with a puzzled half bored expression on his face, and he doesn't look attentive if you mention his name. He just has the look of sheer boredom on his face, like he is beyond it all. I liked that.

Gizmo was certainly beyond all of them.

Of course this led to a long discussion in which evil bro and I expressed things we weren't agreeing on. There were many. To my surprise, we ended up having more in common than I thought

1. We both have, and LOVE our iPhones
2. None of us like relish
3. We both watch Sex & the City
4. We both watch Desperate Housewives
5. We both cast our votes at the same political party
6. None of us like Dullface
7. We both like The Pet Shop Boys
8. we both find Sarah Jessica Parker to be one of the ugliest, overrated actors out there and if she were our horse, we'd have sent her to the glue factory YEARS ago

It was fairly shocking. For a moment there, I started having inner struggles



Then he started praising the movie Failure To Launch and all was right with the world again.

What a shit movie! Matthew McHotnessConaghey and Sarah Jessica Parker has worse on screen chemistry than Hitler and Ghandi would have had, if they were to have a torrid on screen love affair. The movie was just trash. Some movies are so bad, that they are good. This was so bad, that it was unredeemably bad.

Also, is it all straight men, that only talk about girls and how little they wear in certain movies or is it just my evil bro? I find it quite nasty and tiresome to listen to.


*(yes I'm stealing IDVs thing here, I'm running out of ideas people! HELP!!!) The movie Sibling Rivalry from 1990 starring Scott Bakula, Kirstie Alley and Carrie Fisher in which Kirstie Alley accidently has a one night stand with her brother in law. Very amusing.

14 comments:

  1. Both dogs do look rather sweet.

    I saw a dog this evening with a smooshed-up face and a boss-eye. It was disconcerting to look at.

    Not all of us talk about girls and their clothing in movies all the time. Some of us are quite discreet about such conversational topics. I hope that is reassuring to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to visit my parents again tonight, and Gizmo had been picked up by cousin. Of course now my parents dog won't so much as look at me. It was hilarious.

    At least I can always count on you. Will you be my bro?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your hatred of Horseface, so yes, I think we can be siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!

    And I like kittens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just another happy family gathering...At least you had Gizmo to maintain your sanity.
    some folk just don't ever get over viing for the approval of their parents...thank goodness i'm over that....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know my parents love evil bro more, and I'm positively fine with that. It's also understandable because he gave them grandkids and they "get" him

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid he just might be

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why - are you interested MJ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. xoxoxo petey-pet! i wish y'all were my little brother, sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tim: Down boy! She's my fag hag.

    Savannah: YAY we can be sistahs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was simply feeling sorry for poor Mr. DeVice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was so overcome that it's taken me until now to comment.
    Although, now that Tim is 'petra's brother they can't do it, so that means he's mine. All mine!

    * ahem *

    Cute doggy photos, and what have you stolen? Is it my wits or memory, because I can't find either?

    ReplyDelete
  13. MJ: awwwww that's so... Disturbing.

    IDV: I'm stealing everything I can get my hands on.

    ReplyDelete