Sunday, June 21, 2009

Nobody puts baby in a corner

I had the time of my life last night. Ok, so it was Friday night, but that doesn't go with the whole Dirty Dancing theme.

I'm not a party gay. I never really went out and partied like it was 1989 because I was brought up to be the nice guy. The one that sits home with his parents on a Friday and Saturday night and then sits in his room studying until 10.30pm before going to to sleep. Well, that and the fact that I didn't have any friends who wanted to go out with me.

Of course I've had a few nights out, I spent an entire easter break completely hammered on Bacardi Limon and Sprite and the week after in bed being sick as a dog. I also had few Christmas parties - like the last company party. There were feather boas and copious amounts of liquor. And (I know you don't start a sentence with 'and' but I am a rebel - deal with it) you know what? I both those times were some of the BEST times in my life. I had actual fun, f-u-n!

Where I work we can decide to join a sort of student union except it's for the people who work there and not students. A union I suppose. They put together events that we can all attend if we want. Be it beer tasting, football games, concerts, shopping trips to cities around Europe and whatnot. The union had arranged first a department football game where it was "administration" vs. "production" (as we don't actually produce anything this includes the credit analysis, financing and debt collection teams). This was cancelled due to a number of things happening but any excuse to have a party. So, they picked up a sack of party games, beer, liquor, steaks and off we went to the house that had been rented.

I wasn't actually going to attend because I hate football and beer. Yet the friend I am going to the great US of A with in August (Dullface) persuaded me to. I got there late of course, because I'd stayed at work doing a bit of work because I found it foolish to go home and spend 5 minutes there before leaving again. When I got there Dullface was already there. He was talking to some of the people there and didn't really speak to me. So I found myself another group and we split up playing either petanque (weird game with balls) or this weird king game with sticks. He wanted to do the petanque thing and I had teamed up with a lovely girl and my work crush for the stick game.

From then on I didn't actually speak to Dullface all night. He had already sat down for the dinner at the other end of the table when we got in and so our new crew stuck together. Dinner turned a bit naughty when the grilled sausages were served. Before we knew it someone had mentioned this other guy from work (he was there) who we don't like, and someone was having a bite of a sausage when my crush mentioned someone about him doing the chopper in front of his very unsexy girlfriend. It all went further down the gutter from then on and we had to leave because we got a little loud. There was wine and Irish Coffees and later beers. We ended up play darts in our drunken stupour with another guy who had joined us in our laughing over the guy we don't like.

So we went outside and it all continued. Dullface came out to join us for a bit but suddenly he was gone again. I think someone asked him to do the chopper. Bless. Anyway we stayed until 3am drinking, dancing and singing like maniacs. We also had some very drunken deep talks which was nice. I don't remember much of it though. I made sure our lovely girl got home alright and I staggered home and crashed on my bed around 4.30am with my stinky clothes still on.

I can't remember when I've had THAT much fune ever. Even those bits that I don't remember were fun, I know that much. I need friends like that, and I am going to have to pretend I'm still in my late teens early twenties.

Let's party like it's 1989! (Ok, so maybe more like 1987)


13 comments:

  1. we split up playing either petanque (weird game with balls) or this weird king game with sticks.

    I suspect you are no stranger to weird games involving sticks and balls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am better at playing with the sticks than balls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did have fun! That's so great of your work to have an organization like that to arrange fun things. It's a good thing you went and just enjoyed yourself.

    Luv Taylor Dane! I have her greatest hits CD, and it's one of my faves.

    I hope you enjoyed eating the sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a fantastic night despite the lack of sausage eating..

    I only know this one song by Taylor Dane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, that explains all the "wererewwweeeeeeewweeeee!" postings on facebook and blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does Tim, doesn't it?

    I apologise. I will have to keep my party more local next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taylor Dane has an incredible voice and is gorgeous! In the late 80s and 90s, I loved her singing and her slow songs, like

    I'll Always Love You

    Love Will Lead You Back

    But my fave has to be
    I'll Be Your Shelter

    I sometimes think Fergie is trying to copy off Taylor Dane's looks and singing. Anastacia also reminds me of Taylor.

    Perhaps MJ will have one of her famous parties and gets you the right sausage to eat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are really getting into this eighties retro thing. aren't you Pete?!
    See you in london, ciao baby..
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  9. We should all go 'down the gutter' a few times.
    Delighted that you had so much fun daaaahling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent , glad to hear your having a laugh in this new job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No - I like to hear about people being drunk and out of control!!!

    More drunken posting, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you on holiday now?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:39 am

    Such a gentleman making sure your lovely girl got home safely. And I alsways pretend I am in my teens or early twenties, nothing worng with that. I am sure. Party on dude.

    ReplyDelete