Monday, July 13, 2009

I'm missing you

Yet another post that's not about Londinium or Madge. I hope you'll stay with me for this one, because it's really quite funny and tragic. You see, I have an iPhone.




Photobucket

The fabulous 3G version no less. Yes, yes, I know that there is a 3G S varitety about to be launched and mine will be horribly outdated, but still. My iPhone is fabulous. It's the best phone I've ever had.

So imagine my sadness when I find out there is something wrong with it. It had a birth defect no less. The problem is, I've been too dense to think of it until my brother one day puts his iPhone (Oh my god, he's such a copycat! I had one first, get an original idea for a change you moron! Ok, that was a bit harsh, but still...) up to his ear and answers it. Without.The.Headset.Plugged.In. You see my dear readers, I had tried this when I first got mine but it didn't work, so naturally I imagined you had to use the headset. Especially because you didn't see many people with iPhones in Denmark.

I was like OHMYGODYOUCAN'TDOTHATYOUMORON!

This got many a laughs, and today I handed my trusty iPhone in for repairs. They say I may not get my phone back, but may very well get a brand spankin' new one. I have mixed emotions about that, because I've developed such a lovely relationship with it over the almost 1 year I've had it, but on the other hand it'll be like getting a brand spankin' new phone. Oh, and another 2 years warranty. Nice, yeah?

It did mean degrading myself in the shop, telling the same story not once, but twice before they took my trusty iPhone and sent it in. There I was, without a phone. Standing in a mobile phone shop completely without hope or anything looking as they put my iPhone into a secure plastic bubble wrap bag and tagged it. I felt sad. Oh so, very, very sad. When I was almost on the verge of tears I asked if they had a loaner while it was in for repairs and they stuck me with a Nokia XpressMusic phone.



Photobucket

I hate Nokia phones (I can't for the life of me learn how to navigate such a horrid phone) because I've always had either Ericsson, Sony Ericsson or the iPhone. I've always been faithful to the Ericsson brand because they had the right look for me and were easy to navigate. Nokia has always been a bandwagon phone, something everyone had. Why would I have the same phone as everyone else? But now, I'm stuck with this ugly, impossible piece of well probably fine electronics. Although they say about 30 percent of all Nokia phones are DOAs.

To be honest, I like that it's little yet not tiny, and that it's light without being weightless. The iPhone is a tad on the heavy and large side, but when you consider all the extra stuff they've packed into the iPhone it wins hands down. My iPhone was easy to navigate, it didn't take multiple tabs on the same button to write out text messages and it didn't have an obnoxious tone playing everytime you touch the keyboard or receive a text.

Also the iPhone has Facebook, a webbrowser, iPod, and easy access email and calendar. Oh iPhone how I miss thee.


12 comments:

  1. Tsk. I have a Nokia... easy peasy... but I do understand that you'd miss the iPhone. I hope it gets well soon.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a Nokia?

    I would have thought you'd be more sophisticated than that.

    I too hope my iPhone gets well soon. I feel lost without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can never have an iPhone--or any touch screen phone--they're too fragile. The same for Blackberries--those buttons break easily. I have a Motorola that I've dropped and sat on and knocked on the floor a few times. Luckily, it still works. I need a hardier phone that I can take to the beach and not worry about it getting wet.

    I hope your iPhone gets better--or you get at least a great deal on a new phone. In the meantime, enjoy exploring the Nokia--it might have a nice mp3 player or games or internet capability. Or you can take some nice pics with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to set my phone to vibrate and then ...

    Oh wait.

    I've a call coming in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? What are you talking about? What's a mobile phone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no … But imagine what iPhone will be like when it's repaired! Or if they have to replace it, you might get a 3GS - good times!

    Seriously though - you didn't know you could hold it up to your head?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bingowings: You are so practical!

    I am pretty irrational when it comes to most things. Like not wearing the right shoes, getting an expensive breakable phone etc. When it comes to phones I've always gone by looks.

    They may just replace it with a new one. I would be furious if they only offer a deal on another one.

    MJ: As do I, as do I.

    Call me!

    IDV: We don't all have witchy powers you know.

    Tim: I doubt they'll give me a 3G S but that would be wonderful though.

    Oh and shuuuush! Let's not talk about that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:50 pm

    Every time I try something other than Nokia, I end up running, screaming back to them. And every time I go anywhere near Apple technology, it breaks on me, misbehaves, and generally gets me screaming in frustration at it. I know so many people for whom all of their stuff "just works". For me is just fails, every time. Even my iPod. I gave up on iTunes after the second time it trashed my entire music library. Give me a Nokia any day. Besides, too many people I know tweet from their iPhones to Facebook, and it's bloody irritating!

    I'd love to get my hands on an N97. Now there's a real phone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel so old skool..my cell doesn't even take photos..
    I can't text...
    all I use/need it for, is if people absolutely need to get a-hold of me.

    #1 Daughter has a phone like yours and she burps it and nurtures it like a living being.

    I'll just wait until they stick a chip in my skull that will receive/transmit all of my calls..prolly within the next 10 years.

    Thanks ever so much for the Post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Qenny: I just can't seem to get the hang of Nokia phones. Maybe I'm just not that bright, I'm sure the guy at the shop would agree on that.

    I've only ever had two Apple products. My old iPod Shuffle which died after a couple of years of faithful service. The other is my iPhone and not having my iPhone is like missing a hand. It's very sad.

    All that said, the new N97 looks nice, although a little Sidekick'ish. A friend of mine is looking into buying one.

    Donn: Keep your cell a little longer and it may become vintage. I wish I had my first one still. I have my previous 3 cells though. They were all lovely in their own right.

    Don't mention chips in skulls. Did you not watch Doctor Who? That's how we end up as Cybermen.

    Wait... I'm part Cyberman but still, it's a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I never found out what the female Cybermen were called--Cyberwomen? or were the women automatically converted into men when they became Cybermen?

    I'm hoping that Nokia is a slider phone, because it looks fragile without any protective covering.

    P.S. Sent you an email to say hi and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think all are cybermen, there aren't really any cyberwomen.

    There is no sliding action with the Nokia. It's not at all user friendly and I just really don't like it. It does have a metal quality to it so it doesn't feel fragile.

    Thanks for the email, I should really check my email more often. It was my pleasure.

    ReplyDelete