Saturday, July 18, 2009

Swinging London town

The time has come for me to tell you all about my fabulous trip to London. It was every bit as fabulous as I had imagined it would be. There were a few surprises along the way and sights that we didn't get to see. Actually we didn't get to do much sightseeing, and to my horror we forgot to go touch the lions feet on Trafalgar Square. You can see it here though.

We arrived late on Friday evening. Like always, there was something wrong with the Stansted Express (why they call it express, I'll never know) which meant we arrived by Tube at the Russell Sq. station (I love Russell Square) too late to shop at the Brunswick.

Photobucket

Remember, at that time I still had my FABULOUS and much missed iPhone so the photos are blurry and rather poor but you get the idea.
Just across the street from the Tube station is a Tesco. It wasn't always a Tesco, but once the wonderful Hart's Grocer or something like that. It was a wonderful place and I have bought many a sandwich in there over the years. It has been closed for many years though. Anyway, I was waiting outside the station while my friend (after this only referred to as Madgetastic for his love of Madge) was in Tesco to get something to drink and possibly chocolate eclairs (he loves chocolate eclairs and is completely obsessed with them). While I was waiting I saw a young man standing outside, much like I was standing outside the Tube station and I thought he may have been a hustler. Or maybe it was just laundry day as our dear friend Bingowings had experienced once. Anyway, this older man came up to me and started chatting but Madgetastic came to my rescue.

After checking in, we hung out in Madgetastics room for a while talking. I say that, but I'm a little fuzzy on the details although I know for a fact that we didn't have any alcohol and the hotel bill didn't include any roomservice ordered that night. Now that I think about it, I am a little shocked at how poor my memory is, but I think we just talked for a while and I went to my room and took a lovely long bath and read for a while. The book is called The World of Normal Boys by K.M. Soehnlein.

On Saturday we went shopping. This was fantastic. We went to Carnaby Street and Oxford Street, Regent Street and Covent Garden to name a few places. Madgetastic was on a mission to find a Storm shop. He had his mind set on getting a watch and maybe some rings and a bag. After visiting the second Storm shop he'd gotten what he wanted. A quick stop at Marks & Spencers where I got a bottle of nice Italian red wine (but no cork screw) and a visit to the Holy Land we discovered it was actually London Pride day.

Photobucket

We also managed to find a Doc Martens shop on Neal Street (I think it was) and they had some pretty kinky high heeled leather boots for an otherwise pretty so 90s phenomenon. I wonder if those were the ones Madge wore at her Old and Bitter concert. By the way, I put a POX on Crocs!

Anyway, Pride. To be quite honest, I've never actually done the whole Pride thing. It's just a bunch of screaming, cunty, skinny, skanky queens in leopard print trousers isn't it? That, and those leather daddies that MJ is so fond of. However Madgetastic who isn't actually gay (although he weekly claims either being bi, straight or gay - I think he kissed a guy once) was too obsessed with it and wanted to go to "that gay part of town". I kept telling him he might be thinking about Soho where we once shopped at Prowler. He wasn't sure. Anyway, we started on Leicester Square home of the famous handprints of Dame Maggie Smith and made our way towards Soho.

Of course the square and the streets were packed with people. It seemed harmless and fun, except for one poor bloke with a bloody nose who was surrounded by the police. Had the parade been in Denmark he'd probably been dead.

Photobucket

Faggots, faggots everywhere and not a drop to drink.

Photobucket

Oh look! Skanky queen. I'm being a bitch, I know. Sorry.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Oh look! Nando's! Oh how I waved. Like a spechul.

After cruising the parties, listening to some dodgy singer belt out a few tunes, checking out the shopping booths and the advertising whores in their tiny pants (not that I'm complaining because sweet jebus they were hot!) we walked homo. Ooops! I meant to say home. Stopping at a lovely square on the way.

Photobucket
It was near the British Museum.
That night we went out to eat. My treat. There was no plan about where to eat so we just walked around aimlessly in the area around Russell Square where our hotel was. At one point we considered eating at the hotel but that's a little too touristy so we found this lovely restaurant called Denise's. We had drinks and dinner before stumbling back home.

Photobucket

That was where I learned what a Manhattan is. A Manhattan is....Something you should NEVER order. I can't remember when I've had a more disgusting drink. Ever. Of course my Manhattan didn't have a cherry.

We went back to the hotel. The Hotel Russell by the way. My favorite London hotel. Where we called roomservice and asked them to bring up a bucket of ice. We had bought a bottle of sequin Absolute Vodka and some soda and at 3 am I stumbled back down the hall to my room.

Photobucket

Photobucket

That day we'd been shopping at Lush (I've never had better service evah! Even at the Apple Store and Tous which had lovely staff too) so I decided I needed to take a bath with my rubber ducky.

Photobucket

Bringing along my book, wine and a pink cupcake.

Photobucket
The next morning the phone rang at 9am and I looked around.

Photobucket

Photobucket

How on earth did it get to look like that?!? I did make it down to breakfast and we also made it to Debenhams and House of Fraser (where I bought some Kylie - Couture) before heading off to the Old and Bitter concert.

The Old and Bitter concert was at the London O2 (the old Millenium Dome) and to get there, as the Jubilee line was closed, we sailed from the Millenium Pier by the London Eye (old Millenium Wheel?).

Photobucket

From the base of the London Eye overlooking the River Thames, Big Ben and Palace of Westminster

Photobucket
London is gorgeous isn't it. Same place, almost just the other direction. We sailed under Tower Bridge, past Tower of London and went to the concert. More on the concert in an upcoming post. Then we sailed back.

Since it was so late on a Sunday night the Tube had closed and I put my foot down and said. We're walking! I needed the fresh air, the stillness of London and let's face it. I needed the exercise.

Photobucket

The London Eye from the other side of the bank, at 1am. London is so beautiful isn't it just.

A few drinks in Madgetastics room, and it was time for another Lush bath.

Photobucket

A bath, a book and a bottle of wine. That's heaven! Scary morning after, and off we were. It was time to leave London again. So sad, I almost cried. I wished the Ryan Air flight would be cancelled. We took the Tube to Liverpool Street Station and caught the Stansted Express to the airport.

Photobucket

Random escalator at a random Tube station.

At the airport we went to Starbucks to get something to eat. I love Starbucks. The pink thing is some kind of raspberry frappuccino thing and the nutty thing is a rocky roads I think. My memory is a little fuzzy.

Photobucket

After that, we just sat and waited for our flight number to be called.

Photobucket

Such a sad day it was.

This was my trip to Swinging London Town.


14 comments:

  1. OMG!

    I can see your reflection in the chrome bathtub fixtures and you're nekkid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on being mistaken for a hustler! It's so much better than being mistaken for a bum.

    Great fotos! Luv it! I like the food pics, because they look delicious! The hotel looks fantastic.

    London looks very clean! I see that drag queen wearing orange--Clearly, coping IDV, the original orange trend setter! Everyone looks like they're having a gay day at Pride!

    Why are those people walking on the Millennium Bridge? I thought that bridge was dangerous! Lovely fotos of the buildings and cityscape. Did you get to wave at your subjects while going down the river? Excellent post! I look forward to reading more about your adventure! That rubber duck looked like he was having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me that I must go to London soon. I haven't been there for 5 years.
    We have a Mardi Gras Pride in Manchester - and I agree about the skanky queens in leopard print trousers.
    Surprised you suggest that Denmark is homophobic. I always thought the Danes were very tolerant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MJ: No, you can't. Which photo are you referring to?

    I do have one where I'm fairly visible but I'm keeping that one to myself.

    Bingowings: There are people cleaning pretty much non stop, so it is fairly clean for a major capital. I like that. It's also got loads of beautiful parks which I love. The contrast of big city shopping and the calmness of the parks.

    Millenium Bridge is the one in the second photo with the River Thames (which is fairly filthy) and yes people walk on it. I haven't heard that it's dangerous to walk on it though. Once Lord Voldemort takes over for real in the new Harry Potter movie it will be.

    KAZ: That's a long time. This was my first trip to London in two years. However in my defence I went to London twice in 2007.

    Denmark isn't really that homophobic. It's just got a lot of street crime in the capital. A few years ago there were troublemakers throwing rocks at the parade and I think there was something again last year. If it's not on Pride then it's some other day they throw bricks, smash store front windows and burn cars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great post. London looks fab ,much cleaner than it used to be . I havnt been for a while iether , I must make a trip. I cant wait for the Old and Bitter post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. London, clean? I suppose it is better than it used to be.
    I'm so pleased you enjoyed yourself, Pete.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe there's an entire store dedicated to CROCs.

    Miss Scarlet is considering purchasing a pair.

    I am disturbed by this development.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tsk! You weren't supposed to see that comment, MJ.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't worry about the iPhone camera - London's just naturally blurry and rather poor. Good job on trashing the hotel room - very rock 'n roll!!

    Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Danish people destroying property and burning down buildings? Sounds normal enough to me. I'd expect nothing less from the descendants of Vikings.

    And as Tim pointed out, it appears the Danish also love to trash hotel rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beastie + Miss Scarlet: London is fabulous and fairly clean and green.

    MJ: those little shops of horror are ALL over the world!

    Did I miss something? I thought Miss Scarlet was a shoe queen like us.

    Miss Scarlet: The shame! Take it back. You simply cannot buy Crocs!

    Tim: I honestly don't remember doing it. I do remember cleaning and tidying up before housekeeping came.

    Now that can't be very rock and roll.

    Bingowings: see comment above

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to see if they float.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Check if they burn or/and melt if dosed in petrol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:06 pm

    Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to mention that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts.
    After all I will be subscribing for your feed and I hope you write once more very soon!


    Feel free to surf to my homepage :: buy instagram likes

    ReplyDelete