Monday, February 01, 2010

Traumatic MeMeMeMeMe

I read our dear Princess at Palais de Steff blog. It so happens that the Princess herself has been tagged to do a meme by our lovely Miss Scarlet. Name dropping much? Absolutely! Well, they both did lovely memes in which they were to share 3 classic movie moments that in some shape or form have made them buy things/do things/think things that perhaps they shouldn't have.

After reading the two, I felt compelled to share as well, however there is a backstory to this movie business that needs to be shared first. So feel free to put on a face mask or grab a bottle of Champagne and get yourself settled.

In the home I grew up there wasn't a lot of movies. We had one TV in the living room but no VCR, and I wasn't allowed to watch foreign movies. Actually, as far as I remember I was only to allowed to watch the kids programming from 6-6.30pm and that was it. Going to the movies was something that only happened on special occasions. Like when they would show certain Danish folk comedies that were about a group of thieves where only the leader always ended up getting caught. They were called Olsen Banden and they weren't very good. My mother enjoyed them and would take me with her for an afternoon screening of these whenever they showed the old 'classics'. My mother also took me along to watch the Disney Classics. Only on one occasion was my father tagging along. It was back when The Fox and the Hound (in Danish it's called Mads & Mikkel (two boys names)) had premiered. Apparently it was a late screening for my bedtime so I was put into my pyjamas and taken to the cinema.


The movie makes me cry like a baby, and this song does the same. For all you non-Danes out there, you'll probably get a kick out of it, but the lyrics are great.
I think The Fox and the Hound was the first movie I watched at the movies.

It would be many years after that, I actually got to go to the movies without my parents. There was a group of people from school that went to see Jurassic Park together. The only reason I was invited along was because my father would pick some of us up after the movie and drive us home. I was 15 years old. Subsequently this was also the first VHS movie I bought and the beginning of a collection that grew, and grew, and grew. Much to my mothers dismay.

Oh, I should mention here, that I had nightmares for a week after watching Jurassic Park.

Then in 1998 Titanic hit that friggin iceberg, Leonardo DiCaprio died and Celine Dingdong made sure we were all traumatised for good. I refused to go watch it. My mother wanted to see it and my father finally put his foot down. For the first time in history, my father took his youngest son and wife out to dinner and then off to the movies. It was a major step for mankind. You could land a million space shuttles and send a herd of cattle to Uranus and still, it would seem like less of a deal than our night at the movies.

I went because it was free, and because my father kept saying that 'since you like movies, and movie history so much, it would be foolish not to watch it at the movies'. He had a point, and just because it was so over exposed and was rammed down our throats everywhere we went didn't mean it had to be bad. Right? We ended up on second row, having to turn our heads from one direction to the other to see the entire screen. I got horribly sea sick, but kept my dinner down. Thank god. My mother loved it and my father scored some points with her. I just don't want to know what he traded them in for.

Growing up, I wasn't influenced by movies. Unlike my classmates I never got to watch Dirty Dancing at the movies, and such. Another first though, was when we got a VCR and recorded our first movie. It was Coming To America and still, to this day it holds a special place in my heart. Even if it's far from my favorite movie.



When I was 17 I met a guy. We were starting at the same school and were taking the same classes. He also liked movies and we ended up getting along really well. Of course, he was not really into the old classic movies like the fabulous Houseboat from 1958 and he wasn't interested in getting to know the likes of 2001: A Space Odyssey and such. It didn't matter because although he wasn't as starved when it came to movie culture as I was, he was bitten by the bug.

I think my mother secretly resents him for introducing me to life as well as movies, because I was a lot easier to be around before then. Anyway, my collection grew and now that it's all gone digital I have found myself having quite a few DVDs.

Photobucket
Ok, let's zoom in shall we?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sorry about the dust and stuff.

Feel free to do the meme if you like.

16 comments:

  1. Dear Pete,
    You win!
    I just don't have that many shelves, but I must say that you do have a very eclectic taste in movies.
    I couldnt see any Harry potter tho?

    Well done on the mememe,

    Luv Princess XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is there no framed photo of Mistress MJ on your shelves?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dearest Princess,
    Yes, I do have Harry Potter. The shelf below the Kylie shelf all the way to the right. There should be one Potter movie. The other 5 are at a friends house. Same friend who has Gilmore Girls season 4 and who has a few more DVDs.

    MJ: Because you never did mail me a framed picture. Now if you do, please sign it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and lovely pics of all those movies. You've got enough to start a rental store!

    The Fox and the Hound, make that, Mads & Mikkel sound cool! That is a wonderful Disney movie about true friendship.

    I'm still working on this movie meme. I haven't been to the movies in a long while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm insanely jealous. What a fab collection.

    If I bring a bottle of champagne and a hamper, can I crash at yours one weekend and work my way through your collection?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I love snouting through someone else's DVD collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find that I buy DVDs but then I don't watch them...
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss Scarlet,

    Have you not purchased a playing device? Perhaps that is the problem....

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a really cool collection! Many favorites in there...

    And is that the statue of liberty from Brooklyn? So happy to see it's found a good home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bingowings: Thank you!

    Renting them out would be illegal though. I just love that I have a movie for every mood. Although I tend to end up watching the same again and again.

    Roses: You can come over anytime. No need to bring the Champagne, I always have a bottle or two at the ready. Just be advised, Miss Scarlet might be here too, she promised me that she would move in with me. Although that was a long time ago now, she might have found better lodging.

    IDV: Me too. I want to see yours! Please come back with comments and ridicule.

    Miss Scarlet: There are a few of the DVDs I haven't watched yet, but most of them have been watched. I did once buy a second copy of Staying Alive without remembering that I already had it.

    Princess, darling
    That could easiely be the problem. My parents do that though, buying DVDs and never watching them.

    Leah: Thank you! Please feel free to leave comments on them. And questions in case you have any. Some of them have Danish titles but are American.

    Yes, that is THE statue of liberty from Brooklyn. I LOVE IT! It has found its place with all my other high quality souvenirs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A few DVD!? It looks like you moved into a branch of Blockbuster!! That's some collection!!

    Nice to see the Gilmore Girls up there … Though the ones you've got are in really fat boxes - the UK ones are in slimline cases.

    You've got Mallrats too. Good man.

    Wait a sec - you went to the cinema in your pyjamas!?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, the first seasons of Gilmore Girls were in the fat boxes which I actually prefer to the slimlines.

    How can you not have Mallrats (and Dogma)? It's absolutely brilliant. I also have Barb Wire.

    Yes, I went to the movies in my pyjamas. I was maybe 4 at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. DOCTOR WHO! Legend is David Tennant!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Doctor Who!

    David Tennant was great but I liked Christopher Eccleston and his funny ears better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did someone borrow your Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar?

    That's nice that you lend out movies to your friends. Movies are a great way to spend a rainy (or snowy) day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. To my shame, I don't have that one..

    Especially snowy at the moment. Why can't it just melt already.

    I have more movies and but don't remember all of them. I know who has them though and soon they'll get a stern reminder to give them back.

    A friend of mine has Gunshy starring Sandra Bullock. Favorite line, I'm Judy Tipp and I'll be doing your enema today.

    ReplyDelete