Saturday, April 24, 2010

The case of the mysterious post-it - VAT what?

I love Amazon a lot. That's where I do most of my shopping when it comes to books. I know I'm supposed to be supporting my local shops. However Amazon is just more convienient and cheaper.

In the shops I have maybe two shelves of English languaged books, and will need to bring titles and authors when I got. Plus the dreaded; Last time you bought ... so you might like this? It's a small town and people talk. So what if I bought A Passion for Stiletto? That's nobodys business but mine, and no I don't want the Stiletto Birthday Book, thank you very much.

On Amazon I can troll around and read about the books on my chaise with a glass of Champagne in hand, and ignore the rude suggestions that I might want to buy Twillight New Moon on DVD because I previously mentioned to the dastard thing, that I owned Practical Magic on DVD. Or that I should buy Lauren Conrads L.A. Candy... Wait, I might actually like that hmmmm. Anyway, the suggestions should be private and not something to be yelled out into the store and Amazon does that for me.

So, last week I logged onto Amazon for a quick trip though their shop. A hop to the DVD department with a little a skip through music and a brief stop looking at watches. It was lovely, and I hadn't even found something I wanted to buy. Perfect. So I finally stopped by the books. You see, although I am boycotting the evil witch that is IDV for slandering remarks etc. in his post about TFGES I did find a few books on his blog that I wanted to read.
I found them, added them and then I went on a little vampire crazed shopping spree. In the shopping basket it said how much they were, and I thought that was a bit much but oh well - besides it said something about qualifying for free supersave delivery or something. Lovely! Imagine my surprise that when I'd put in my credit card information and was ready to confirm the transaction. Not only had the prices changed, but they'd also been lovely enough to add shipping costs. Because apparently they changed their minds, Denmark is not included in their free shipping. The higher prices are due to the fact that Denmark has a 25% VAT added to all products sold in Denmark. If I'd bought something on Play.com or other Internet shops, they wouldn't add the extra VAT because they don't have to. They are not Danish companies, and neither is Amazon. Which is why I'm slightly peeved. I can forgive them for the added shipping because they aren't Danish, but the added VAT really puzzles me. If they were Danish, they would have to charge the 25% but then they should have a free shipping supersaver thing for us. But I digress.

Then yesterday the package arrived. Imagine my surprise when I opened it and I spotted this.

Photobucket
The strange Q34 post-it. I didn't put it there. So who did? Why? And is the book in fact used (although it shouldn't be)? There are no post-its on the other books, it's just that one.

Why? What? When? Where?

I'll end this with a little public service announcement

9 comments:

  1. You only buy books that involve hot sweaty interplanetary manlovin, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I also buy books with regular hot sweaty manlovin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is lacking tie action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That post it means:

    This is the 34th Queer ho-mance novel that this customer has bought!



    P.S. I'd send a note to Amazon to ask them to explain those delivery charges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like a goood Homance novel to get you through a "Blue Period"
    Dhaaarling...
    I dont understand Amazons rationale or charges so don't bother with them.
    I never give a toss about what the sales person behind the counter thinks about my reading purchases, They are there to provide me with a service, and if that includes a purchase of several homoerotic novels so be it.

    Having lived in many small towns over the years, have not found it difficult ho have the local newsagent order in Gay Magazines on request. One day on calling in to collect the latest issue he called me aside and thanked me for opening up his mind to the "power of the pink dollar" proudly taking me over to a new section in his magazine display dedicated to Queer mags and a mall selection of Gay themed books on his shelves.. adding "I did'nt know this place had so many blokes like you here, they have been walking off the sheves and I've had to place an early order to restock can you believe it?" Well I could...

    It never hurts to ask...regardless of their opinion, I had one gent look at me strangely following my request and ask "you do know what's in that sort of magazine don't you" slightly colouring...
    I replied "of course... it's full of naked men with hard dicks, can you plce a regular order for me or not"? then smiling added "And from the way that you are colouring up you have obviously been sneaking a peek"!...
    He then grinned and winked at me saying "I'll have it waiting her for you next week".
    See... not an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite boycotting my blog, I'd like to leave you a little piece of advice: Don't bother purchasing (or reading) Single White Vampire (unless you already have) - What a crock! One dimensional characters bounce from one conveniently placed plot device (no relation) to another. And while there are the expected sex scenes, they are heterosexual. But luckily, they're not too explicit - Well, the lady-bits aren't!

    Oh, and: * huff * Boycott my blog at your peril, 'Petra!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tim: I know, I almost decided against buying it because of it.

    Bingowings: I tried calling them and the person I spoke to couldn't really give me a good reason (one I was satisfied with

    It's not the 34th though. Not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Princess

    I suppose it's just easier for me to look up the titles at home and buy them on amazon rather than going to the shop and stand there not knowing which books to order.

    As for buying naughty stuff, I may bring that up in an upcoming post. It may be partly because I'm a little shy about that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. IDV: I didn't buy Single White Vampire, although I did look it up and read about it. Then I found out it was straight and decided against it. Thanks for the hint though.

    I'll take my chances on the boycott IDV. I will not go before you apologise for your slanderous post my dear. Now get ready to kiss my lovely feet (you are lucky I'm not Neneh Cherry - Koochie Koo)

    ReplyDelete