Saturday, July 03, 2010

Very fruity

I grew up in a house with a nice garden by a lake. When I say by a lake, it's mean in that real estate agent kind of way. Because the lake was 3 rows of houses down, and past a fairly busy road. Yet we had a nice view of the lake as the house was on a (very) small hill. I didn't really appreciate the view back then, as I was either in my room colouring, playing Civilization (or Giana Sisters or Oil Imperium) or perhaps sitting outside on the balcony steps playing with our dog.

My parents did all they could, but I did find the entire collection of Abba on vinyl that they had hidden away along with Cliff Richard. Cliff wasn't really my thing though (except for that one Christmas song..)

Photobucket

We didn't just have fruity things in the house. Our garden was filled with black currant, redcurrant, strawberries, raspberries, apples, pears and gooseberries.

Photobucket

There were also melons, although they weren't for eating.



We haven't scaled down on the fruit since, as you can well imagine. I like fruit, I eat way too little of it, and I believe it's way too expensive. That is, if you want fresh fruit. You know, proper fresh fruit. The kind that looks great and doesn't taste waxy and artificial.

So today, as I was all out of ice cream and it was too hot to go anywhere or do anything, I pondered if I should go for ice cream. It was quite the debate in my head really. Yet, I ended up getting dressed properly, and ventured out into the sweltering heat. Sun baking us all, and it was quite a journey. The shop was nice and cool, and of course they'd been practically sold out on ice cream. I also managed to look in the fruit section if they had anything worth buying.

The raspberries looked great, so I stood there inspecting every pack of them. Obviously. As I did so, a woman and her daughter (I can only assume (I know, some stupid American phrase, something about a donkey)) came up to me looking at mangos. The daughter stood there staring, rather rudely I daresay, at me and then turns to her mother asking why I was inspecting the raspberries. Of course, I could have just answered myself, but the mother told her rather flat out "so the gentleman can get the packet with the least worms and rotting berries". Right. She was correct of course, but it almost put me off buying them if it wasn't because the packet I was holding hadn't looked so perfect.

When I got home I checked the packet again and the raspberries were perfect. They also tasted like every bit of summery goodness that I remember. Still, you don't get much eh? Why must the good fruits and berries cost so much?

Photobucket

Now, how about a raspberry margarita?

10 comments:

  1. Did you never go scrumping?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scrumping? That sounds kinky so sadly no, I didn't. What did I miss out on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did you miss? Mainly falling out of apple trees and being chased by irate apple tree owners.

    That didn't stop me scrumping though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you were/are an apple thief? Brilliant!

    I did do that once actually. With a friend from Copenhagen and we were caught by an old man. He said that all we had to ask. How did we know? After that, we didn't have to jump fences and dodge kitchen windows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "That didn't stop me scrumping though!"

    I bet it didn't.

    *thinks that IDV's definition of scrumping is different to everyone else's*

    **awaits MJ's comment about docks and sailors**

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps it's time to grow your own berries!

    I'm not a big fan of fruit from the grocery store--because mostly, they're genetically engineered and they taste blah. I don't like the genetically engineered banana they sell in most stores. I prefer the small, sweet, delicious natural ones that some people call 'ladyfingers'. I like raspberries and blueberries...not a big fan of strawberries by themselves. And while I don't like grapes, I do love raisins.

    I've found that the cheapest way to buy fresh fruits is to go to the local farmer's market--they cost much less than what the grocery stores charge.

    Luv raspberry iced tea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you like Salt or Sugar on your rim Sir?

    Mmmm....Difficult choice...

    I Love all the different fruits
    Rasberries are great and i'm quite partial to a custard apple and lychees...Houseboy! peel me some grapes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim: I miss Dinah because ZING! Works so much better when she does it.

    Bingowings: Too bad I don't have a garden or balcony to put plants on. Also I manage to kill all plants in record time.

    Princess: I don't do passion fruits because I refuse to eat something that looks like vile snot and I find there are more aesthetically pleasing surly fruits. I don't actually have a favourite fruit. I'm also not keen on oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Urg. Oranges make me vomit - The skin is too chewy. I don't like something in my mouth for the time it takes to chew an orange.

    Oh, and Tim? Ha! MJ's taken a break.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another thing I don't get is the star fruit. It's pretty but ewww. Just like the vile Ruccola lettuce

    ReplyDelete