Friday, May 06, 2011

New York you are fiiine

As I am wandering around THE City swiping my credit cards left and right with Dolce & Gabbana, Armani and Bergdorf Goodmans bags in hand, I can't help but wonder a bit. Am I singlehandedly saving the global economic crisis or just one swipe away from a life in the gutter? Admittedly my mind has been there for years, and although not strictly in that sense, my body had followed a few times.

Still, as I sit here on a bench in Central Park on the Upper West Side soaking up the amazing sun and looking over at what I assume must be the skyline of the Upper East Side I wonder. Who are New York's Finest exactly?

I mean, I see plenty of very, very fine people - in every sense of the word - but I know it's a term for either the NYPD or NYFD (um, well in case that's wrong I hereby clarify that I do indeed mean those hunky fire fighters who risk - and some give their lives - during either fires, 9/11 and other hideous events). So which is it?

The police officers although fine, are by my observations lovely but usually eating, standing around talking, observing, throwing leftovers in bins or protecting and serving. I admire them a lot. They potentially encounter lunatics with guns etc.

On the other hand we have the hunky fire fighters. I've only seen a few. A truck with the Ladder 7 written on it. I'm assuming it has some significance because it surely wasn't the rating I'd give them. They were a perfect 10/10 to me. So ladder 10 from me, and my ladder was fully erected. What they were doing I have no idea. They were working some big hydrant and I assume the one of them had his big hose out at some point because the ground was wet and a little slippery. I also saw a calendar with NY firemen in a shop. I need to go back and buy that.

So although my vote goes to the fire fighters, who really IS New Yorks finest?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone in Central Park, NYC

Location:Central Park

7 comments:

  1. See if you can get some photos of those hunky firemen and hot cops next time and we can judge who is the finest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, why didn't I think of that?

    I don't have photos of them, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:51 am

    You need both hands to click away ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Excellent post. And by the way, there is a verrrry intense rivalry between the NYPD and the NYFD!!! Maybe because of the ongoing debate between who are the hottest...

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s., technically the cops are the "finest," the firefighters called the "bravest," the prison officers "boldest" and garbage collectors "strongest." : D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been trying to work my way through the uniformed services and unfortunately am yet to try 'the bravest'...and no, I'm not in the least interested in trying the strongest.

    Though obviously, not in NY. In Norfolk UK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a thought:

    http://www.justgiving.com/kazblog

    Thanks!

    Rog

    ReplyDelete