Saturday, April 25, 2009

Book update

I decided to repeat my book challenge of last year and this means reading 12 books this year. I've already finished four books this year and I started reading two more books. Unfortunately I've been so very busy over the past few months that I haven't been reading a lot or anything at all. My new (fabulously interesting and rewarding with the pityful salary) job has been taking a lot of time and energy.

Yet today I was doing nothing. I mean nothing, n-o-t-h-i-n-g! Absolutely nothing, so I could do as I pleased. This meant a TCM (Turner Classic Movies) movie marathon with a fabulous lineup.
  • the last bit of The Glass Bottom Boat (Doris Day baby!)
  • Gone With the Wind (Well frankly my dear, I don't give a damn)
  • Little Women (now I want to read the book!)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (what gorgeous cinematography, gotta love Stanley Kubrick)

The next movie on the schedule was Training Day but I have to say, I am not too keen on watching that. Mostly because it doesn't belong on TCM because it's only from 2001. It's not a classic, and especially not yet. So I decided to read and I ended up finishing the fifth book in my 2009 book challenge.

Brothers by Ted van Lieshout. To be honest I don't remember why I picked it. It sure as hell wasn't because of the cover. Maybe it was the tagline, Life, death, truth. I don't think it could have been said more clearly than that.

Since this book is an English translation of a Dutch book, the writing doesn't flow. Either Dutch is just really difficult to translate, or the translator wasn't very good. I hope it's the first. In any case, it's still a good book.

The style is very interesting as it's about two brothers. One is dead, and the other has stolen his diary (no, I haven't stolen the storyline - I wasn't aware this book existed at the time) and decides to save the diary from their mothers ritual burning of all his earthly posessions by writing in the diary. Making it more his, that his late brothers. It may sound strange or a little naive, but it's a very touching book despite the poor translation (I don't speak Dutch but it seemed evident even to me).

It was sweet, disturbing and very sad. It made me wish my brother had left behind a diary I could read. Even if it seems like a massive invasion of privacy to pry into the most private thoughts of another person, living or dead. I guess my question is, would you? I don't know if I would. I guess to me it would be a chance to know my brother who I never got a chance to know, but morally would it be OK?

8 comments:

  1. I decided to repeat my book challenge of last year and this means reading 12 books this year.

    Don’t hurt yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't promise anything MJ but thanks for the concern

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd feel weird reading about someone's diary, unless they had given consent.

    I kept a journal, and I don't think I'd ever let anyone else read it. It was for my eyes only, my own private thoughts and feelings. It was just for me. Besides, if I wanted to share something personal, I'd decide what it would be. I think people should have their privacy, no matter if they're still alive or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2001 does kind of stick out a bit on your movie marathon. Unless of course it was a new version with added Doris Day.

    Well done with the reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... I'm just about to start Bette Davis's autobiography. should be a bitchfest. i'll let you know how I get on.
    SXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurrah , more reading , good on ya .
    re the Dairy thing , def not on if the person is still alive.......if they are dead I am not sure really wether they would care very much....you know being dead and stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was that Gone With the Wind or the modern classic of canadian cinema
    Scone with the Wind....a romantic tale of Miss MJ , a cake and appalling flatulence.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:19 am

    That is odd that the translation is poor. I understand Dutch quite well and it seems one of the easier European languages to me.

    ReplyDelete