Sunday, May 24, 2009

Blur

You might ask yourself what 'Petra has been up to lately. What's been going on since the move and why am I only updating every once in a while? Or what's been going on with me in the past few weeks. I wish I could tell you, it's all been a bit of a blur. After I moved back here, I thought my life would be dinner parties, cocktail parties, Wii parties and movie nights with friends. Honestly I don't know what I spend my time doing anymore but here is a clue.







I know the events but I can't put a date on them. I've upped my work hours from 37 to 39 and a half hours per week. This was done by April 1st actually but for some reason I only started appreciating it now. Maybe because my bank account felt it now for the first time. To be honest I didn't actually feel as much as I had hoped. Turns out if I start doing the math to see how much I get paid hour, I get very disappointed. Still, it's better than nothing I suppose and it's not like I wouldn't be at work anyway so I might as well get paid for it. However little it is.

Over the past two weeks I watched the following










Unfortunately I couldn't find my favorite episode from Season 4 on youtube, in which Emily Gilmore (Lorelais mother and Rorys grandmother) goes mental at a mall.

I also finished a book called Mysterious Skin by Scott Heim which was fairly good. It was another pretty sad and depressing book, which I've been reading a lot of recently and it's got to stop sometime. This book makes number 6 this year which marks the halfway mark. The book was actually pretty well written and the characters were, albeit not the nicest, well written and I did to my horror identify with a few of them. I don't believe in UFOs though and would never stick my hand inside a dead cow - or a live one for that matter.

Apart from those things, I've had 5 pretty memorable days.

Thursday last week I went to the movies and watched Angels & Demons after work. It was a company thing where we could get tickets at reduced prices including popcorn and soda. I may have been the only one who didn't care for the Dan Brown book, or I was the only one who weren't afraid to say it out loud. I really didn't like that book. I also am not a fan of Tom Hanks and what was the first thing we saw? Tom Hanks in nothing but a blue speedo. Oh.My.God.No! It did pick up and the movie was a lot more enjoyable than the book but they should have cast someone else than Tom Hanks because he's just so annoying. Yet it was a fairly average movie and I did enjoy it for the most part.

Friday last week was a company outing. Not for the whole company, but our team was meeting with the law firm we use. We left work at noon and I stumbled in my front door at close to 1am. It started with us hearing the ins and outs of the estates of deseased persons. To be honest I thought it would be boring, but I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't. Then we met the lawyers and their secretaries that we deal with daily. We had a glass of Moët and went to dinner. I know there was wine, and cognac and a very large slice of Tiramisu and beer. Everyone was very nice and I didn't make a big drunken fool out of myself. Pheeeeew!

Saturday was the Eurovision Song Contest live from Moscow, but more on that later.

Tuesday this week I was picked up by my boss at 6.30am for a trip to Copenhagen to visit my former colleagues. Apparently they needed to be explained some things but it turned out it wasn't because they didn't understand, but rather that they didn't want to understand how things worked. It was nice to see them again and it made realise that I made the right decision to move. The trip gave me the opportunity to talk to my boss in a more informal environment and we got to know each other a little bit better. When I say "a little bit better" I do mean a little bit. Nothing rude if that's what you are thinking. Shame on you! I'm nothing if not a professional. Ok, rude but it's not supposed to be. And it wasn't. We talked about a lot of things. Including books. When he heard I liked reading he immediately asked what and when I mentioned I was reading The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro the conversation came to a stand still. So naturally I had to tell him about another book, something more to his taste. Since I knew he probably wouldn't appreciate My Fair Captain (with fisting and all) by J. L. Langley I mentioned a thriller I'd just purchased called Amberville by Tim Daly. It worked up until I mentioned that it takes place in an alternate world of teddy bears which I happen to find quite ingenious. He didn't and the conversationen ended right there. We didn't speak for a good 15 minutes after that. He did have me home by 8.15pm, bless him.
Then Thursday this week it was Star Trek day! This movie was beyond awesome. I cannot tell you how much awesomeness this movie was. It was, awesome. Some colleagues and I were supposed to go, but most of them couldn't because Thursday was a bank holiday here and they had things to do. Too bad for them! They missed a great outing.
In the end we were 3 people going. The girl I usually go to the movies with, we have almost the same taste in movies except she liked Failure to Launch. What a terrible movie. Bleugh. The other person going with us was a guy I've got a massive crush on, so it was pretty risky asking him to go with us. He's a total comic book geek and he's so lovely. Best part is that he isn't rude to me. Perish the thought. Well we went, the movie was well, awesome! and then he went home. I went to dinner with the girl and we had a lovely evening. She found it quite disturbing that I hadn't watched any of the other Star Trek movies. I told her to start looking up the series because she's never watched any of those.
Oh, how strange was it seeing the guy from American Pie and Sylar as a Vulcan? I completely bought it and totally understand Uhura because who wouldn't, freaky hair and all.. As of now I'm practicing my Vulcan sign and stuff. I want to be a Trekkie.

12 comments:

  1. Blimey! Blur...
    I'm going to read the teddy bear book...
    Tell us more about The Crush...
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might ask yourself what 'Petra has been up to lately.

    Then again, you might NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have been busy...for me...it's been work, dogs, home, bed...rather dull in this neck of the woods

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scarlet: The crush is, well lovely . I can't say much else. We don't really have much in common and the conversation doesn't flow naturally but maybe that's just me being nervous.

    He's just really nice to be around. I wish he was around all the time.

    MJ: Then MJ might ask herself why she's here.

    No?

    Daisy: That sounds like a pretty dull rutine. I hope you like your work though. I know you love your dogs so that's a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are the films at the cinema in the original language or do you get Tom Hanks dubbed into Danish?
    Love the Gilmore Girls clips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It depends on the movie but Tom Hanks spoke in his own dull voice in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gilmore Girls - yay!

    And Star Trek - YAY! OK, I'm really pleased you liked the movie, but WTF?! What guy from American Pie?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sulu. Sulu was in the 3 first American Pie movies.

    That was a little difficult to get past but he did good in Star Trek.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He was also Harold in the Harold and Kumar movies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a busy life since the move! As for Star Trek, I kept expecting Anne Hathaway to pop up since that Capt Kirk dude was in the Princess diaries! I just recently saw Star Trek and Wolverine when I got back.

    As for Eurovision, I had a hard time understanding how Turkey got all those votes! What were those countries smoking, and where can I get some?

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. Saw Mysterious Skin, the movie, and it was disturbing and poignant. That Joseph Gordon Levitt kid is an awesome actor!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tim: I don't know that one. I do have a pretty vivid recollection of the American Pie movies. How sad is that.

    Bingowings: The only thing that could have made Star Trek better was if Anne Hathaway (and possibly Julie Andrews) were in it. They could be Klingon queens?

    I should watch Mysterious Skin, I really should.

    ReplyDelete