Sunday, January 17, 2010

Nic, Renée and Joooles

I promised the fabulous Princess of Palais de Steff to do a little bit of chatting about Nicole Kidman after I named Australia the best movie I saw last year. It seemed almost unforgivable to our fabulous Princess. Here's what she had to say about it

Dear CyberPete,

You Little Sycophant!

How very dare you award
Ms Kidman/Cruise/Urban for another woeful performance in that "Thing" Called Australia!.....
I refused to go and see it on the Grounds of the appalling trailers that assaulted my ears(the Dread full accent) and eyes (her waxen expressionless face)!

Oh , thats right, I remember Now, Mr Huge Jackman Did steal her thunder!

Love Princess XXX

Right, so the truth is, up until quite recently I've always kind of hated Nicole Kidman - and her acting. Even after she had teamed up with one of my favorite actors of all time Sandra Bullock (LOVE her). Of course, then I'd only watched the following movies, starring her, that left a lot to be desired

  • Days of Thunder (a Tom Cruise movie - bleugh! We hate him!)
  • Billy Bathgate
  • Far And Away (another Tom Cruise thing - ewww!)
  • Malice (we like Bill Pullman, and this was one I didn't hate so much)
  • To Die For (terrible!)
  • Batman Forever (yikes!)
  • The Peacemaker (I dubbed it the Pacemaker, but I am oh so in love with George)
  • Practical Magic (I love Sandra Bullock so it wasn't that terrible)
  • Eyes Wide Shut (another Tom Cruise thing - double ewww! with bleugh! on top)
  • Moulin Rouge! (Kylie was in it, and Baz directed it)

This is about the time where I started liking her. She'd ditched Tom, and Moulin Rouge! was a turning point in her career. The one she should have won her Oscar for. Which leads me to where I was going with this post. The dire Oscar mixup! It was all fumbles really.

Now, I LOVE the Academy Awards. The glamour, the dresses, the glitz, the stars, the shoes, the diamonds, the men, the movies and Oscar himself of course. I watch it LIVE every year, except the one before last, where I had to work the day after. So I had to skip it. It was brutal, I was devastated, and very pissed at my work. Never forgetting that!

Anyway, they mixed up the Oscars of these 3 ladies.

Nicole Kidman

Photobucket

You see, Nicole Kidman was nominated for an Oscar twice.


  • Best actress in a leading role - Moulin Rouge! - 2002
  • Best actress in a leading role - The Hours - 2003

Incidently she won for her role in The Hours. A movie in which she only had 30 minutes on screen which is usually only enough to get a nomination as a supporting actress. So, there were two reasons why she was able to take home the Oscar that year. First, because her original Oscar win for Moulin Rouge! was stolen by Halle Berry (we all remember that atrocious Oscar speech don't we?) for Monster's Ball, and secondly because she made herself 'ugly' by having that fake nose.

That being said, she always looks gorgeous on the red carpet (that is, after she got rid of Tom Cruise).

Renée Zellweger

Photobucket

You see, the plot thickens. Because the year where Halle Berry robbed Nicole Kidman of her Oscar, was also the year Renée Zellweger was first nominated for an Oscar. She was up for Bridget Jones's Diary.
  • Best actress in a leading role - Bridget Jones's Diary - 2002
  • Best actress in a leading role - Chicago - 2003
  • Best actress in a supporting role - Cold Mountain - 2004

Well, I wouldn't say that her performance in Bridget Jones's Diary deserved an Oscar, but she definately did for Chicago. That was brilliant. The thing is though, that was the year Nicole Kidman was given her token Oscar, so Renée Zellweger couldn't get hers. They were up against Julianne Moore (Far From Heaven), Diane Lane (Unfaithful) and Salma Hayek (Frida). A very tough year. Yet, the Oscar should have gone to either Renée or Julianne Moore and since musicals are favoured due to the extra efforts of actually singing and dancing too, it would have gone to Renée Zellweger. Had it not been for the mixup the year before.

Then of course, Renée Zellweger teamed up with Nicole Kidman in Cold Mountain and delivered a wonderful performance subsequently winning her a token Oscar for best actress in a supporting role. You'd think it was all over then. Everyone's happy, as they all got their Oscar in the end - and it would be easier for Renée to get another Oscar as she didn't win leading actress.

Julia Roberts

Photobucket

And then there was Julia Roberts. I mean really, when did she ever deserve to win anything.
  • Best actress in a supporting role - Steel Magnolias - 1990
  • Best actress in a leading role - Pretty Woman - 1991
  • Best actress in a leading role - Erin Brockovich - 2001

I'll give you Steel Magnolias. That was a great performance, plus she dies. The nomination for Pretty Woman was weak, and Erin Brockovich. Well, that might as well have been a Lifetime Achievement Award "because you'll never win an Oscar any other way, dearie".

Julia Roberts has been around for a gazillion years I suppose, and her horse teeth and massive hair has helped sell a LOT of movie tickets, and I suppose that should be rewarded, but they could - and have done that at the Blockbuster Awards. Yet, it's not really the same, winning a Blockbuster Award as it absolutely isn't an Oscar.

The most interesting thing about Julia Roberts career (except her sometimes fabulous outfits) is the fact that she didn't win The Razzie worst supporting actress for Hook in 1992. Sean Young stole that from her.

Bless.

8 comments:

  1. I can't stand Kidman (she looks like a ghost), Zellweger's just annoying, and apparently Julia Roberts is an enormous bitch!

    Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't doubt Julia Roberts is an enormous bitch. Not for a second.

    Who wouldn't if they had enormous horse teeth like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole Kidman never really stood out for me as an actress; same for Julia Roberts.

    I don't follow awards shows...most times, they pick some obscure movie as best picture...such bullsh*t!!!

    Some of the best films are the ones that never get nominated. The Color Purple (1985) should've won Best Picture, NOT Out of Africa (1985). I mean, I luv Meryl Streep, but Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey were amazing and believable in their poignant, complex roles.

    And some of the best actors don't win because of Hollywood high school politics.

    Cate Blanchett should've won Best Actress for Elizabth (1988), NOT Gwyneth Paltrow for Shakespear in Love (1998)!

    Speaking of award shows, I think the Golden Globes are on tonight. I'm not sure I'm going watch...well, maybe to see the musical performances...I think they have musical performances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We ALL know CyerPete is the biggest diva of them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kidman isn't one of my favourite actresses but I did enjoy The Others. That was a brilliant ghost story.

    If I was giving away awards, best totty would go to Robert Downey Jr. Mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eros: I like that sometimes it's not the big blockbuster movies that win. It means that it's 'quality' based on a different scale than say budget, lobbying and ticket sales. There are some great 'small' movies out there, like Chocolat for instance.

    The Colour Purple was great, but so was Out of Africa.

    MJ: Of course I am! Don't you forget it!

    Roses: I don't like ghost stories. They freak me out. Malice was great because I've never seen her play that type of role before. I think one of the Baldwins were in it too.

    Mmmmmmm best totty.. Robert Downey Jr. is hot! Let's drink to that!

    *brings out a bottle of Bollinger*

    To totty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont know why but I would like to slap Zellweger , she just looks irritating

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Dear Pete,
    May I firstly appologise for my tardyness in response. But with Stork Deliveries the princess has been quite out of sorts.
    Secondly, on reading your homage to Ms Kidman/Cruise/Urban i will admit that i felt quite bilious!
    Thirdly, I have to agree with Mr Swings regarding Ms Streep's "I had a House in Africa" as opposed to the delightful Ms Goldberg et al !
    Though i did admire Ms Sreeps gumption in MaMa Mia

    One Movie that I did enjoy with Ms Kidman/Cruise/Urban was a little threeway thing she did with Sam Niell and some other good looking American Boy... Called "Dead Calm"
    Unfortunately she survived in the plot line

    Although ms k was the headliner in Moulin it was the male cast that held the movie together and Mr Mc gregor always floats my boat.

    I'm still spiiting chips over the Paltry v Blanchett debarkle!

    Chocolat was a Quirky little Movie that i adored and showed the lovely Mr Depp adding another string to his bow, and for a change Ms Binoche kept most of her clothes on!

    And Lastly, How dare you besmirch the character of Miss Julia!
    It's not often that you see a Hooker Become a Princess! Oh I forgot... it is hollywood. It happens all the time!

    Luv Princess XXX

    ReplyDelete