Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Book Update 2: Straight I think not

I've finished four books now. In under one month. So excited I am. It'll end up being fairly expensive though, as I've almost run out of books to read and will have to call upon Amazon UK to deliver a new pile of quality entertainment. With further ado, I give you the two most recent books I've read.


I was browsing through my Amazon UK recommendations and there it was. I'd previously bought a Kylie calendar and other Kylie stuff from them so they thought this little item would be right up my alley. The cover was quite easy on the eyes, and the blurb made it sound like an easy breezy fluffy story. Naturally I was all for it.

The books is divided into chapters by the names of selected Kylie tracks that fit with the overall theme of the chapter. This is quite fun actually. I was a little disappointed that one of the main character, Jonathan Parish's, favorite tracks



wasn't featured as a chapter.

Anyway. You've probably guessed it, Jonathan is an American teenager and an out and proud gay. He's obsessed with Kylie and one day he gets an offer he can't refuse. Being flown to London to see Kylies Showgirl Tour in exchange for going back into the closet to play the straight boyfriend of a girlfriend of his. The rest, you can read about yourself. It's quite the delightful and easy read.




You may, or may not remember that I've also read his other books Leave Myself Behind and Brothers Bishop. I enjoyed Brothers Bishop immensely, but as far as I recall I wasn't that into Leave Myself Behind. So, it was interesting to see how I felt about The Distance Between Us, the third book by Bart Yates.

It's about a 71 year old ex concert pianist named Hester Parker. My first thought was, oh this is going to be a very long book. Then a young man is introduced. Pale, skinny and unruly ginger hair. Oh crap, could it get any worse? It was all uphill from there, and to be honest it went up and up and up and up.

Turns out that Hester Parker and I have a lot in common. We are both slightly bitter and sarcastic, and in all honesty a bit vindictive. You see, Hester Parker has been alienated from her family and her husband of many, many years who has had an affair with the same woman for 15 years, has left her. He wants the house in the divorce, and the woman he has been cheating on Hester with, was a woman she actually liked.

The book has so much humour. Hilarious at times, and is also sad. I like sad books. You don't want to miss this one out.

9 comments:

  1. Firsties! Yay!

    Four books already? You're trying to make up for last year? I'll have a look for them, they look like a good read. Classy boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were these books featured on Oprah's Book Club?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They both sound like good reads. I must get cracking with my books - I'v only finished one this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Four books!? That's more than I've read! Actually I'm on my fourth, but even so…

    Oh, and IDV - this is for you: 'e'

    Thought you might want to tack it onto your 'I'v'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How generous of you, Tim. As you're obviously in the mood for giving, can I make a request?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roses: I believe I am, although I haven't started book 5 yet.

    MJ: I believe they were book of the month in October and November of last year.

    Miss Oprah sure does love her pink, gay themed books with disco balls on the back cover.

    IDV: Get on with it dear! Pick up The Straight Road To Kylie, you'll love it. After all you did read Clicking Her Heels by Lucy Hepburn.

    Tim: Hah! I was way ahead of you. Anyway I'm sure you are already way ahead again now.

    Be careful, give the old man a finger and he'll take the whole arm.

    You don't want to know what he'll do with it.

    IDV: Sneaky, or not so sneaky actually.

    Tim: Good call, but if you one day say yes, he might actually keel over with a heart attack. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:38 am

    Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:40 pm

    Brim over I assent to but I dream the list inform should acquire more info then it has.

    ReplyDelete