Friday, August 01, 2008

Book update

I realise that writing a book update after only reading one book is a bit much. The thing is, I have to write about it, now. I finished it a few days ago and I can't stop thinking about it. To be perfectly honest, that's only part of it. I'm afraid that if I don't write about this book now I'll end up thinking about it and start crying. That would be uncomfortable, especially at work.





The book is The Brothers Bishop by Bart Yates. I had never heard of it before but somehow stumbled upon it on Amazon. I was purchasing a few other books and on my way to the checkout bit I found it. The recommendations were good and I read a little bit about it. Still I didn't know much of the story before I started reading it. Which is what I prefer. For the most part I'm surprised in the good way.

This is a story about two brothers who were raised by their father in a small city on the east coast of the US. Their mother died when they were very young and their father was a really mean man. Because of this the two brothers grew very close and it wasn't until after their father died that they started to drift apart. The older brother gets a call from the younger brother telling him he's coming to stay with him for a week with his boyfriend and this couple friend of his. That's when the story starts.

It's the older brother Nathan telling the story and he admits that he tends to remember the bad stuff and forget the good times. It's funny, it's engaging and it triggered something in me that made me cry, I could hardly read the end. It drags you into the universe and I was almost responding by saying things out loud like "Oh no you don't!" and "Yeah, keep telling yourself that". The best thing about that, is that he calls you on it. Completely deflating the arguement you are having in your head.

There was two sentences that keep coming back into my mind. I was sitting at work today writing a letter to our attorneys and they popped into my mind. The tears started to make their way up towards my eyes and I could feel my eyes becoming moist. Thankfully I managed to stop it. The sentences are

"He said 'Nathan and Daddy hurt other people when they are sad. It's the only thing that stops them from hurting themselves.'"

When I read that it completely floored me. But enough about that. This is one of the best books I've ever read. I think it surpasses previous favorites, like A Density of Souls and The Snow Garden both by Christopher Rice. The only thing that bothered me was after I had read it, I looked at the next page and there were "Discussion Questions". It made it feel a little bit like school. I never thought much of "Discussion Questions", I always felt like it took away the pleasure of reading.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book, especially when it leaves you thinking and emotionally stimulated. The only book I've read that made me cry is called "I heard the owl call my name."

    Mind you, I was 12 when I read this, so the hormones were wrecking havoc with my moods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved it and last night I went on amazon and orderes his other book. I hope it won't disappoint but after this I think it might.

    I am a crybaby and can cry over anything and nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great when you find something that affects you so much, whether it be a book, some music, or a film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just finished crying for the loss of poor IVD's ginger shelf stacker and now you've got me weepy all over again for YOU.

    Stop it all of you!

    *hurries off camera*

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. The discussion notes are there to aid people in Book Clubs.

    Ignore them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may give this one a go... I am off for a book and sushi bingo today. It sounds quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i hate it when mj answers before me! *pouting* she stole my comment about book clubs! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim: It definately is. I've found my share of that, but this book really does it for me.

    MJ: Poor MJ, but having a good cry from time to time is really good for you.

    *pat pat*

    True about the Discussion Questions, but it just caught me off guard. I haven't encountered a book with that since I went to school.

    T-Birdy: I hope you'll like it. I'm very excited about it, and am considering reading it again. Now.

    Savannah: She always steals your thunder. MJ is like that, she does it to me *ALL* the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh CyberPetra, I was 'Yay'ing inside after I read your first sentence - After all, if CP can do a one book review, then so can I! However, yours is a proper book, but mine was another Calvin & Hobbes collection (I still haven't finished the third & last DS9 book).

    I'll just second Eros & Tim's comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm yet to start another book, as I'm a little depressed that the book ended.

    I did start an autobiography some time ago which I've yet to reach page 100 in.

    ReplyDelete