Thursday, July 31, 2008

A pill

My parents arrived Monday evening. They had planned to stay until tomorrow, Friday. Officially the reason for the trip was to see me (as it'd been too long - yeah right) and to have a week in our nations capital. Their trip to Iceland had gone really well but they felt like they needed more adventure.

Thankfully I managed to avoid hearing most of their tales from Iceland, and I managed to get away with only seeing about 10 photos. My evil brother was not so lucky last week, he had to see all 400 WITH narration (TEE-HEE-HEE-HEEEEE). In the end they understood that nature experiences are not my thing and the energy they'd use telling me all about it would be completely wasted.

Everything went as always "are you really doing it that way?", "Let me show you how to clean a radiator more efficiently", "Oh, come on, oh just let me do it!". The winner was this morning when I decided to swallow my allergy pill on the go without a glass of water, juice or milk. "Don't do it like that, you need water, it won't work without water". I finally snapped at her as I was tired, exhausted, hot and just wanted to get out of there. It was the first and only time I lost it during their stay which is amazing. Mumbling stuff through clenched teeth doesn't count right?

My fathers birthday was yesterday. He turned 64 and I had taken the morning off to have a long breakfast with them. It wasn't that bad actually and for the first time in, I can't remember how long we talked to each other like adults. That abruptly ended when I tried to clear the table after breakfast. In the evening we just sat down for a quiet light dinner and I was attacked with questions about my life and whatnot. Most of it was deflected by the momshield TM .

They finally left while I was at work today but before they did, my mother decided to clean my flat "to show me that I can make it sparkle". It was surely meant as a comment on my housekeeping skills but I take it as coming home to a freshly cleaned flat. Which isn't all that bad. Now it just smells of guilt and Chanel no 5.

13 comments:

  1. Well, it could've been worse; your apt could've smelled like the old people or Paris Hilton's Heiress.

    Still, I envy you being able to talk to both parents. The weird thing is, their critiques are usually their strange way of wanting you to get the most out of life...

    It's their life experience vs yours, and they think you can do much better, if you listen to their advice. They just want to make sure you're going to be fine. And I think parents have a hard time letting kids grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Your parents didn't have fotos of Bjork out in the wild, hunting flocks of birds for new outfits?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents have always measured me against what my brother has done. All the good things anyway. Even though there is a 10 year age difference it was always like that.

    It's been a very bumpy ride and we'll never end up seeing eye to eye. I think the chances of me getting along with my evil brother are better than seeing eye to eye with my parents. Something I've come to accept many years ago. Giving up on that was one of the best things I've ever done to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they missed Bjork. Isn't she on tour?

    The population is quite small up there so it would be likely they'd run into her if she was there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CP, that's very wise of you to accept that you're parents and you will have differences. A lot of people waste their time trying to please others. You've discovered one of the secrets to a happy life: To live life on your own terms.

    As for Bjork, if she was wearing her Oscar dress, then she was probably hidden among a flock of swans...

    ReplyDelete
  6. meant to say "your" parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, sweetie. *hug*

    Well, they are gone now. Sometimes they just can't not treat you like the little kid they always seem to think we still are.

    Although, I *wish* my mother would leave my flat sparkling and smelling like Chanel Number 5. More often than not she uses the same perfume I do... no fair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You survived - hurrah! Well done - especially for just snapping once. I think it's quite a talent to swallow a pill without water. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you bake them a gayer cake?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bingowings Good thing they weren't there with a rifle then.

    and of course you did :)

    T-Birdy Poor dear!

    It's the guilt part that seems to make the somewhat stale Chanel no 5 seem bitter.

    Wear Showtime. I bet your mum doesn't wear that.

    Tim My mother always told me, you've got to have a talent.

    I guess that's mine.

    MJ Nej det gjorde jeg ikke. Jeg serverede dog is-bomber.

    Lækkert!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Pete - How did you survive?
    I couldn't face the idea of my mum cleaning my place, I would assume she would look in my drawers and cupboards and find so much to criticise.
    Oh and I loved my mum - but they are all control freaks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have a ladder and I have some cupboards really high up in my bedroom. That's where I put the stuff I don't want her to see. She wouldn't be able to reach up there, not even with a chair.

    The rest is ok though. She can snoop (and believe me she has) all she wants. She'll find plenty to criticise and I always end up putting my kitchen stuff back where it belongs. She always rearranges that. It's not even funny.

    What I was worried about was my computer but I password protected that and she wouldn't be able to crack that.

    There is little love left between us, which is really sad. It makes me very sad but it's fact and there is nothing I can do about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *hugs* just because, sugar! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete