Thursday, July 24, 2008

Book update

Yes, besides movies, sleeping and going to work I also managed to read two more books. I'm doing fairly well considering it was 12 books in 12 months. Here are the latest two in my quest to make it through one per month.



The first book Mix Tape: The Art of Cassette Culture by Thurston Moore is a collection of stories about mix tapes and what they meant to them by famous (I'm sure, but not to me) people combined with some bits by Thurston Moore where he explains why he thinks the mix tape defines a generation.

To tell you the truth, I bought it because of the cover. It looks so awesome. Like you can see, it's shaped out just like a cassette tape and it's just so very very kool.

I may not (at all) share the taste of music (or know many of the bands mentioned) of the people who contributed to the book but I understand the sentiment. Just because I was born in 1978 does not mean I completely missed out on the mix tape revolution. Granted I had a CD player by 1991 but I did spend a good part of the 80s recording stuff off the radio and mixing holiday tapes I would use to survive the long trips with my parents over the summer. I may as well have made a mix tape or two for someone I liked. After all these years one can't help but wonder if they keep that sort of thing.

Personally I can't help but think it's more about memories than anything else. Each tape that one made defined a time in ones life, what were you into at the time and all that. It brings back memories.

What did the mix tape mean to you? Any thoughts? Is it all just a load of pollywoggle, codswallow or what is that delightful word that the Brits use?


I've been taking suggestions from the fabulous Dinah and that's worked brilliantly. I must say that although I really loved her selection of books, it was time for something else. Nothing about the amish or such. Something a little twisted and who else could suggest such a thing than our own twisted sistah IDV . He mentioned that this book Mort by Terry Pratchett was good.

Death takes on an apprentice. That's pretty much the storyline and how can you not love that? I was hooked from the very beginning and the style of writing is funny, touching and delightful. Delightfully twisted. How does someone come up with the world being a disc held by 4 elephants? It's just too good. I envy anyone who has an imagination like that.
Also if you really want to understand our own twisted sistah IDV this is the book to read. I can't say I completely understand him but I may be a step closer. If that's a good thing or not I'm not sure.

Anyway love the book and I can't wait to start reading another Terry Pratchett book so very soon. I just have to finish an autobiography first.

8 comments:

  1. I must have made hundreds of mixed tapes...I'd make them for every occasion and give them away at parties if I was hammered and someone 'interesting' said that they really, really, really, liked it.

    I still do it on CD and most of them are the same songs that I used to put on my mixed tapes!
    Not to worry I have found lots of cool new bands . I'm not STUCK in the 70s but the songs that you hear in your coming of age phase stick with you forever don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A girl could get used to being called fabulous!

    I (and this is back many years ago, when I was obsessed with figure skating) used to tape the skaters' routine music from the tv to a tape, and then I would listen to my mixtapes over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mixed tapes are fun--I still have my old stereo that plays cassettes!

    Once, a friend made me a mixed tape of 80s new wave/punk songs; it accidentally fell into a care package I sent to a niece. She luved the tape more than Tinkerbell jewelry she wanted and I had sent in the box. I didn't have the heart to ask her to return it...oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had happy-go-lucky, upbeat tunes on one side and depressing dirges on the other to accompany my mood swings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn: you are right. That music does kind of stick with you. Which is why I still enjoy the occational SAW mix of All of Me by Sabrina.

    80s Italian dance classics - that's what I grew up listening to. That and the Grease soundtrack that my brother had copied off his LP (and I stole, I still have it somewhere)

    Dinah: There is no other way to describe you though. So there. Fabulous. Get used to it.

    I used record stuff off the radio and make up dance rutines to it. The 80s pop music was my drug of choice.

    Bingowings: It sucks not being heartless doesn't it?

    MJ: You don't strike me as the kind of girl who has moodswings

    Tee-heee! Good one eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blimey, I used to make mix tapes all the time when I only had a tape deck in the car (my first car, I hasten to add). I used to spend ages making those tapes…

    I remember reading Mort years ago, although I preferred the one where Death takes a holiday. The name escapes me, though.

    Reaper Man! That was it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That delightful word that us Brits use is 'codswallop'! We can't have a proper conversation with saying it at least once.

    Ah, mix tapes. I remember taping the songs from Top Of The Pops on a clunky old cassette recorder held close to the TV - not recently, I hasten to add!

    I'm glad you liked Mort. After I recommended it, I worried that it might not be your thing. I love the whole idea that Death has an adopted daughter and despite that, she's inherited his genetics!
    Tim's right - Reaper Man's good, too. All sorts of havoc erupts when things don't die...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim: Then I've got to get Reaper Man, I just love Death!

    IDV: I know, you must have stopped when Top Of The Pops went off the air a few years ago. Right?

    ReplyDelete