Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lovefilm

Welcome to the second edition of Lovefilm. During the weekend I ended up on the sofa watching part of the 7th season of Gilmore Girls and the new batch of movies from Lovefilm. These are the two movies.

There was a buzz about Transamerica even before it was released but I never got around to watching it. Then I put it off because it wasn't high on the list of things to do, yet I put it on my list at Lovefilm and then it went through my mailbox on Saturday.

I like Felicity Huffman very much, especially on Desperate Housewives but she was also in the movie Magnolia (a favorite of mine) and I watched her on Frasier. The guy Kevin Zegers who plays opposite Felicity Huffman is really cute and acts very well in this movie. Felicity Huffman, well she's just outstanding. Everything down to the way she speaks and her mannerisms.

It's about Felicity Huffman who is a transsexual and is going in for his last surgery and learns he has a son and agrees to drive him to California. Even though the son has no idea Felicity Huffman is his father or that she is a he.

I like it a lot. Outstanding acting all around and the story is good. I'd go as far as to say it's quite original as I've certainly never seen a movie like this before. It also seems to be really authentic and real, as they could have easiely sugar coated it (even more). The movie is fun, engaging and touching.

The second movie is Little Miss Sunshine. I think it was IDV who mentioned this one on his blog. Then before that, I saw mentions of it at the Academy Awards as it won 2 Oscars. So naturally I was curious. I try to watch a few of the nominated movies so it's not all fluff. Also I'm a sucker for a pagent movie. Still this is not your usual pagent movie. Not by a long shot.

Take a very dysfunctional family (a father who is well an arse, a suicidal uncle, a son who won't speak, horny foul mouthed granddad, sweet Toni Collette as the mother and a little girl who just wants to be Miss Sunshine) on the road in a yellow VW Bus in which the transmission won't go lower that 3rd gear and the horn is stuck, just trying to get to the Miss Sunshine pagent in Redondo Beach.

It's a laugh isn't it. Sweet, funny and one of the most endearing movies I've seen all year. And who knew Steve Carrell could do anything but comedy? He does a fabulous job and I like him a lot in this movie. Didn't think subtle was his strong point or a strong point. This is definately a mustsee movie.

I can't wait to see what the next two are going to be.

17 comments:

  1. Good movie choices. You know, I remember that Kevin Zegers dude from the Air Bud movies Disney made--about a boy and his basketball playing dog!
    Felicity Huffman is a great actor; I was impressed with her on a comedy/drama series called Sports Night. It was like smart comedy, but I got it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Trans America yet - now I am going to look out for it!

    This internet movie business things sounds awesome! Where can I sign up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say 'Felicity Huffman' one more time. Go on.
    I really want to watch TransAmerica now - more than ever. Like you, I missed it the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is IVD in Transamerica having his front bottom installed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved 'Little Miss Sunshine' and wrote about it on my blog when I first saw it.
    It somehow manages to be very funny and dark at the same time. The title almost put me off at first.

    I have the DVD with me - so perhaps I'll watch it again later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bingowings: Don't mention that he was in Airbud. It makes it so wrong to have a crush on him. Shame on you Pete.

    She was great on Sports Night. I didn't watch it a lot but am told it's considered a classic show now.

    T-Birdy: You have to live in Denmark. Don't you have something like that? You must.

    IDV: You laugh now, but I'm getting paid every time I mention Felicity Huffman. So, I'm laughing all the way to the bank, Felicity Huffman.

    Felicity Huffman is really good in it. I'm sure you'll like it.

    MJ: As I still haven't seen IDVs front bottom I can't be certain.

    A photo would help.

    KAZZY: You are right, it does manage both. Which apparently is very difficult or not seen often.

    I loved the title, it was party the reason for watching it. Like "It's a wonderful life" it's all in the title.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw Transamerica when it first came out and really liked it. I waited a much longer time to see Little Miss Sunshine but loved that too. Steve Carrell is so good in it, dramatically, but everyone is really good. Even Greg Kinear, and I hated his character!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree with Greg Kinnear. He is a tool in this movie, well his character is.

    To be honest I struggle to find a movie in which I like him. Not even when he plays Simon the fag in As Good as it Gets

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a little disappointed by Little Miss Sunshine, but thought Transamerica was great. Felicity Huffman must've thanked the gods for her man-like features when she was offered that role.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehehe! MJ said front bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. IVD's got a front bottom
    a front bottom
    IVD's got front bottom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sparkly Tim: I doubt it hurt that her husband William H Macy produced it.

    I would like to do a movie

    Well, I can get you the lead in this new tranny movie I'm producing

    ok


    T-Birdy *giggles*

    MJ I still need to see it before I believe it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tim: "You are awful. But I like you!"

    MJ & CyberPetra: My front bottom will never be seen because IT DOESN'T EXIST!

    ReplyDelete
  14. IDV You sound like a 40s actress. It's very unbecoming.

    I'll need to see proof of that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Re. IDV's front bottom, and to quote Stewie Griffin: Is there any tread left on the tyre or is it like throwing a cocktail wiener down a corridor?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely died laughing at Alan Arkin's Grandad...he's always been one of my favorite ANGST Comics.
    It was a touching quirky film.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A 40's actress, CyberPetra? I was supposed to be Dick Emery's Mandy.

    At Tim: * g a s p ! *

    ReplyDelete