Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympicados


I was just reading Bingowings entry from yesterday about the opening ceremony of the Olympics. Apparently it was also incredibly expensive and to compare London will only have about half or a third of that budget when they get the games next time. That's a bit worrying and apparently Beijing really raised the bar. I would say China, but it's not really. It's Beijing because it's all just a nice front to show the world how fabulous China is. Like when they booted all those homeless people out of Atlanta. Only pretty people and no drama. Still it I was sad to hear about the American who got killed. That certainly can't be part of the promo package. But it may freak out the American athletes enough so other countries have a bigger chance of winning. I feel a conspiracy coming on. Still, very sad news and I feel for his family and everyone who knew him.

Still this was not what I was going to talk about. I was of course going to talk about all the important sporting things going on. The things that really count. You know, such as mens beach volley, the mens tower diving thing, mens swimming and maybe a bit of the mens gymnastics. Including but not limited to trampoline jumping. How this became more than a festival activity I'll never know. Still it looks delightful.

Yesterday around 8am they were showing these boating and sailing things which is not at all exciting to watch. Of course Denmark is very much present in that discipine (I say that, but I know there are many, different boats, and rowing and sailboating and Finnsailers and whatnot) but apparently they did horribly in what I managed to see out of the corner of my eye while fiddling on Facebook. So bad in fact that it's not even funny. Out of sheer luck I then managed to change the channel JUST as Michael (godlike) Phelps (an American swimmer to those who have been living under a rock) was about to hit the water in something swimming rather. They did all kinds of odd strokes. I know there was butterfly and breast strokes but apart from that I'm a little puzzled. Thankfully he just kept swimming and it looked gooooood. He also won by a water(?)slide. Even though it was just the preliminaries or something. After that the swimming continued. Something I appreciate watching a lot. Very exciting stuff and such perfect bodies. The women got on after that and I changed the channel back to the boats.

My question though, is WHY must they place the most important sporting events in the middle of the friggin night? I remember when Sydney was hosting (the most amazing Olympics EVAH!) it was the same. Something about timezones but I'm always left with a few short mentions of mens beach volley and that's it. I never got to see it and now again. They are showing it at 3am here when I have to be up and at work by 8.30am. It's just not fair.

Click to enlarge and you know you want to.

21 comments:

  1. Just you wait until you see the opening ceremony we've got planned. Of course, it will be spectacularly late and horrifically over-budget, but *everyone* will be impressed by a load of chavs setting fire to a car and rolling it downhill towards the half-finished Olympic stadium.

    We've already had to downsize our Olympic pool due to budgetry reasons. It's now half the size it should be, but on the plus side it has a crazy water slide and a wave machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds wicked! Can't wait.

    It will fit perfectly with your olympic logo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what - Lisa Simpson giving someone a blowjob?

    Hmmm…

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm...

    Personally I expected it to be Homer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please continue your updates on The Hot Men of the Olympics.

    Much more exciting to me than the female Chinese weightlifter I saw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will MJ, although I would have liked to see that little sissy dance she did

    ReplyDelete
  7. CP, it's so funny how you mentioned the Atlanta 1996 Olympics! I actually worked there during the Olympics and I was part of the task force that booted out the homeless people!

    I worked security, and we started in Atlanta 3 months before the games. We took over the former Delta Airlines headquarters and other unused bldgs the homeless were squatting in. These bldgs served as headquarters and lodging for the security teams during the games. It was our job to clear out the bldgs and make them fit for security personnel habitation (not homeless habitation).

    I particularly remember one day when we kicked out the squatters, "Take your newspapers and get out!" One homeless man actually came back to retrieve a half eaten, old cheeseburger! I felt bad for him, so I gave him my lunch. But then he asked me for money to buy drugs!!!

    Those bldgs were filthy and smelly and fire hazards, but we cleaned the hell out of them and set them up like 3 star hotels! And my god, the most beautiful team I saw that year was the Australian women field hockey team! Now those ladies were 5 stars! The way they gripped those sticks and worked those balls was gold medal worthy!

    As for the Games showing late, I usually record them when I'm not home, so I can watch 'em later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, inside information on the Atlanta games! That's so exciting. Sounds kool. Although tossing out the homeless can't have been very fun.

    I was accosted by a guy at the train station one day and asked for money to buy beer. What do you say to that? Well except (wanting to say fuck off but being to scared he'll cut you or something so you just say) sorry, I don't have any cash..

    Womens field hockey team, pretty? How did that happen? I thought they were bruised, butch and toothless.

    I could try and install my VCR. I don't have TIVO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I've just watched the mens 400m relay - Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know. That was the one where Phelps won gold and smashed the world record yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it just me, or could we do without Phelp's head?

    Also, I can't wait for the chavs rolling a Megan (is that how you spell it?) down a hill, into a pit of tar to set the flame on fire.

    I heard the Brits are also considering the bubonic plague as a nice parting gift for all athletes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What face?

    I never made it that far up, sorry!

    Sounds like the London olympics will be smashing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. cyberpete...i was listening to information about the stabbing attack of the american and to be honest my first thought was he was one of the displaced people in china...apparently they tore down several homes in the area because they weren't pretty...and americans are so readily identifiable that i think it is why he picked one...i don't think it was to get americans to do bad but i think he was feeling that poorly he had to take it out on another...
    as to the swimming...they do 100m breast stroke, 100m butterfly, 100m freestyle, and 100m back stroke...*daisy use to swim competitively :)*
    the reason why it was held in the middle of the night for you was due to the time being the early evening in the states...or at least that is what the broadcasters said...sorry sweetie...it was great though wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that's just awful Daisy but I suppose that how it's done in the name of image. I don't know what I expected but killing people is unacceptable.

    Wow kool beans you were a competitive swimmer! I tried my hand at badminton but after two years I came to the realisation that I never would hit that stupid shuttle thing ball

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well yes MJ

    I was better at hitting it with the regular kind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I knew we had lots in common Pete. I can't stand that female beach volley ball either.
    All that wobbling and bouncing - Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes the male kind is soooooo much better!

    Did you watch the swimming?

    ReplyDelete
  18. What's not to luv about women's beach volleyball? Those tall athletic women dressed for easy mobility, making passes at each other, trying to stuff their opponents, while trying to avoid getting smacked in the face with a ball. Now that's some skillful ball playing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. All that bouncing is making me quesy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous2:56 am

    A large male torso (just like Phelp's or Cielo's or Bernard's)is way more interesting to see!!!By the way, the 50m gold medal winner is a god!

    ReplyDelete