Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Because people suck

I was maybe 10 years old when I got my first computer. It was a Commodore Plus 4 and it could do spreadsheets, word processing etc. On top of all the very sophisticated stuff it could do, it also played games. The games were on tape, like the kind you could record the latest song from Johnny Hates Jazz or Duran Duran on. I had 3 games, Tutti Fruity (you had to run around picking up cherries), a flight simulator (I never got that plane off the ground!) and a game with a police officer you could steer around a basic obstacle course. It was lovely. Then I graduated to an Amiga 2000 and I had a lot of games for that. Finally in 1995 I got my first proper PC.

When I got my first PC I started playing a lot of Tomb Raider which I still adore even with lacking quality over the years. However it wasn't until I got Sims 2 that I truely found my favorite game of all time. I like it so much that I have all the expansion packs and X-tra packs as you can see below in no particular order.

I'll list them from top left and onwards.

Sims 2 - the basic game

Expansion Packs

Sims 2 - Freetime
Sims 2 - Apartment Life (the most recent expansion pack)
Sims 2 - Bon Voyage
Sims 2 - Nightlife
Sims 2 - Open for Business
Sims 2 - Seasons
Sims 2 - Pets
Sims 2 - University

X-tra Packs

Sims 2 - Christmas Party Pack
Sims 2 - Celebration
Sims 2 - Kitchen and Bath Interior Design
Sims 2 - Teen Style
Sims 2 - IKEA
Sims 2 - H & M Fashion
Sims 2 - Glamour Life
Sims 2 - Family Fun

It's a tad much, I know. Still every pack brings something different to the basic game and it becomes quite advanced.

I don't play it every day, but when I get into it I can play for days without doing much else. Becoming completely absorbed in it. Then I can go weeks, even a month or so without playing and then I start again. TimTams brought up the point in a comment on his blog about why one should play it. It's basically about getting a family, working, getting married, having kids and life in general. Why would you want to do that in a game when you can just live your own life?

Good question, my answer to that is "because people suck". I've found the game more satisfying than my real life because I can create my own little world. If I wanted to I could be straight, and green or anything I like really. There is no stigmas and it's just fun. I do get out, and I do live my own life outside but sometimes it's nice to escape into an alternate reality for a few hours, or even days.

You can create your Sims the way you want them to look, dress them up the way you want (and if you need more clothes or skin colours or whatever else you can find it online), build houses and gardens and it's just a really nice game. Plus it's never scary or dark, it's a nice pleasant game with some wicked twists. Like witches, vampires, werewolves and other stuff like that - if you are into that. I try to keep my Sims as realistic as possible and it is possible to avoid that stuff.

Now, with the risk of looking like an even bigger loser than I already do, I'd like to introduce you to my most recent Sim family. The Quarles family.

I started out with the woman Sim whose name is Sabrina. She lived in a trailerpark, got pregnant with the man with his arm around her. His name is Bruty and was running the trailerpark. Shortly after they got married she gave birth to their son Christopher in the white T-shirt and they moved to an upscale apartment building. Then she gave birth to twin girls. Lara and Lisa. Lara is the girl in the gray T-shirt and Lisa in the red. At the moment Sabrina is pregnant again, and Christopher is almost ready to go to college.

That was my little Sim story. I love Sims 2.

Sims 3 will be out in February 2009.

23 comments:

  1. Jeebus Christ! I thought that picture of all the expansion packs was a promotional thing - then realised it was all yours!

    Um, Christopher looks like a girl I know, one of the twins looks like it just got crippled by the other, and I get the sneaking suspicion that Sabrina's a bit of a slag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher does look like a girl. I think it's because he is so creative, that talent may change his appearance.

    True it does look like Lisa just took out Taras knee.

    Sabrina is a bit of a slag, but I'll have you know that all the kids are Brutys. You gave me an idea. Because all the kids are blonde. I think I need her to befriend someone who looks much different and see what happens then. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. forget about Ikea - an H&M expansion pack?? like the clothing store?? we've been completely missing out on the world of Sims!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "sometimes it's nice to escape into an alternate reality for a few hours"...

    Isn't that what blogging is for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. psp is fab for this...i have a few games which have addicted me quite readily...i could never get into the sims games maybe because i deal with people and their issues all damn day and that was the last thing i wanted at night...i'd much rather kill things in a fantasy game...go figure...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missy&Chrissy: I know! It's fabulous. Then if you have the Open for Business expansion pack you can actually run an H&M store.

    It's fashion goodness! Although it would be cuter had it been Dolce & Gabbana.

    MJ: That too but, believe it or not, I don't always have any new wisdom to share.

    Daisy: I bought a PSP around Christmas last year and own Sims 2 for that too. However I can't really get into it. I'm too used to be able to model my Sims into whatever I want them to be and all that. In the PC version you can kill Sims. Mostly by starting a fire in a room and removing the doors, or put them in the pool and remove the ladder.

    It can be a very violent game if you want it to be. With lovely crickets chirping, soothing music and lovely bright colours though.

    I've never been into those killing games because they are usually so dark.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fantastic.
    You mean I can actually find out what it's like to be a normal person with kids and a hubby and next door neighbours with twin sets?
    And none of the boredom and pain.
    Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly Kaz!

    I have to admit this is my first ever proper family I've controlled since the game came out many years ago.

    Mostly it's been gay couples or single lads but I found it was time to try something a little more traditional. Something my parents would approve of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two of my kids (23 & 7) will spend hours playing SIMS together.
    I love their freaky language and stilted dancing!
    Building the Houses is the best part..I know it's like playing GOD and OH Once a satellite or something fell on one their guys while he was BBQing..
    THAT WAS AWESOME..
    and then the little ghost thingy happened..

    yeah it is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And when they die, Death comes to take them. Then the alive Sims around can plead and play chess with Death for the Sim to come back to life.

    It's awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get the feeling that Christopher is a raging poofter.

    I can't quite put mu finger on why that is. It can't be to do with the way he's standing, can it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't know, he's in high school and hasn't had sex or made out with anyone yet. I suppose he is keeping his options open for college.

    You think the way he is standing makes him look like a poofter?

    You must be joking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He also has breasts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christopher, that is, not IDV.

    At least I don't think IDV has breasts. I'm not going to check either way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It would appear like he does. He doesn't in the game though. Weird.

    I'd be pretty disappointed if that skinny witch had breasts

    ReplyDelete
  16. So you introduce the characters to people, and they go and do stuff all of their own?

    This is confusing...

    ReplyDelete
  17. No no, you completely control them. Every move. From going to the loo, to making dinner to the wohooo. If you don't give them something to do, they will find something to do on their own. Not always something you want them to be doing though. All depending on their mood and if their basic needs are met. I'll do another post about this I think.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I concur with IVD Christopher looks a right screaming queen.
    Just think you could create your own fantasy MJ :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I sort of think this game could be fun...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I cannot play video games...It's not that I hate them, but it's because I'm addicted to them! I've wasted too many hours playing video games when I was younger, and I kept lying to myself that this was the last level, last time, then I would stop...but I kept on playing...like the time I played Tetris on a Gameboy til the batteries died!

    It was a 16 hr stretch, and I had to fake an illness to miss school because I didn't finish my report that was due that morning!

    Christopher is not gay! He's just British!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beastie: MJs fantasy. That would be very scary. I don't think I'd want screenshots from that.

    T-Birdy: It is, but it's very expensive.

    Bingowings: I was addicted to Civilization back when I had my Amiga 2000. It stayed with me until around 2000 which is 8 years? I played it all the time and could spend an entire weekend locked away in my room. It was almost a sickness. In the end I've sort of learned how to keep my gaming at a reasonable level. I can do that.

    I haven't had any cola, Coca Cola or otherwise in over a year now but I know I should never have any again. Otherwise I'll fall right back into my addiction.

    Some things you just know you should stay away from

    ReplyDelete
  22. By cola, I mean COLA, it's not another word for any soda, pop or sodapop.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous7:33 am

    This is great info to know.

    ReplyDelete