Sunday, September 14, 2008

Confession: I love Danielle Steel

All my best ideas are borrowed from other people. So it's only natural that I was, at least, inspired by fabulous Dinah to do this post. You see, Dinah, like myself has a thing for bad TV movies. To me, that is Danielle Steel movies. You know, the characters must go through so much bad, before it all becomes absolutely perfect in the end.

I've only read a few Danielle Steel books, but I've seen some of the movies. It's not just Danielle Steel movies that I love. I Harlequin movies too. For instance A Change of Place. That one is a favorite of mine. It also reminds me a bit of a Danielle Steel movie called Star which I liked a lot. That movie starred 90210s Kelly Taylor aka. Jennie Garth. Yet my alltime favorite bad TV movie is another Danielle Steel movie.




But before we get into the movie I think we should meet the writer



"I hope you enjoy the characters and their secrets we reveal to you"

[Cue Credits]

Let's meet the cast
Christopher Plummer as Mel Wexler
Linda Purl as Jane Adams
Gary Collins as Zack Taylor
Ben Browder (or Tom Cruise if you like) as Bill Warwick
Josie Bissett as Gaby Smith
John Bennett Perry as Dan Adams
Nicole Eggert as Alexa Adams
and special appearance by
Stephanie Beacham as Sabina Quarles
You see, Christopher Plummer is a big shot TV producer in the Aaron Spelling way. Very hands on. He wants to put together a series called Manhattan. The entire series rests on him getting Gary Collins and Stephanie Beacham signed.
Stephanie Beacham doesn't want to do it but decides to do it anyway because of financial problems due to a much darker secret.
Gary Collins is also pushed into it out of financial problems, there are due to being blackmailed by two women. He had once slept with a girl who was underage and her mother had taped it.
When Christopher Plummer had cast those two, the rest seemed pretty easy. Linda Purl jumped at the chance after her situation at home. He also cast Ben Browder whose arse apparently sold a lot of jeans. The last person to cast was Josie Bissett, a rich girl who was born into money.
As they start shooting the series the actors secrets start blowing up in their faces. Linda Purl wants a divorce from her lunatic husband and that's when the shit really hits the fan. You see, Linda Purl and Gary Collins start falling in love. So they help each other out. Linda Purl gets beaten up by her ex and her daughter finally sees her father for what he was.
Ben Browder has a junkie, prostitute wife who gets shot and he is of course accused of murdering her. Especially because she was his secret. After a while Josie Bissett falls in love with Ben Browder.
Christopher Plummer starts pursuing Stephanie Beacham from the beginning and their affair ends when he suspects that all of her secret trips to San Francisco is because of a man. She decides to run off to San Francisco in the middle of shooting and doesn't know when she's coming back. Or if. So Christopher Plummer rushes off to San Francisco to confront her with this. It takes him to a hospital where he finds her with a child, Matthew. Stephanie Beacham the finally spills the beans. She's got a son whose only chance of surviving was to have a complete heart and lung transplant.
Ah, the drama! There is only one thing better than a soap and that is a movie about making a soap. You must watch it.

15 comments:

  1. That sounds very complex…

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very complex and yet very predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at: "Ben Browder whose arse apparently sold a lot of jeans."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't base it all on his arse.

    That's a fiction part. I've seen better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That. sounds. awesome! I must keep an eye out for this. I wish I got the Lifetime Movie Channel...I must make do instead with W.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had the that channel too.

    I've got Hallmark but I rarely catch any good movies there. Although there was that movie with Kirstie Alley

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm more of a Jackie Collins fan--more filthy and outrageous plots! A friend of mine asked me to house sit, and I read two Jackie Collin's books my friend had on her end table.

    I don't recall seeing this movie. Once, a long time ago, a hurricane knocked out power; no tv; no electricity for two weeks, I ran out of books to read; so I picked up a friend's Danielle Steel books and read three of them by week's end. I still can't recall their titles, but I do remember the plots being a whole lot racier than my sister's Harlequin collection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jackie Collins books are fab.

    Well I've only ever read one. That Lucky Chances one. It was most entertaining.

    They made Lucky Chances into a mini series. Got it on DVD and it's actually not that bad. Well it is, but I love bad TV.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and Eros read Danielle Steel and Jackie Collins?

    You deserve to be locked in a room together with an endless loop of made-for-tv movies playing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like heaven to me MJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too like a 'good' trash novel or TV Movie . They are at their best if there is a whole heap of sufferin but it all comes out ok in the end

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right Beastie.

    That and lots of ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my god, if you do get an endless loop of TV movies, please invite me over.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are always welcome. Just remember to bring TimBits and Jelly Beans.

    When or if T-birdy joins she can bring TimTams

    ReplyDelete
  15. Doesn't she just write the same story over and over and just change the names, locations, and occupations?

    Gary Collins is the epitome of the ubiquitous milquetoast cheese sandwich D Lister, and a really, really, nice guy.

    ReplyDelete