Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Book Challenge 2009

Hot on the heels of my previous post, I can actually produce the first two books completed for my 2009 book challenge. This year I'm sticking with the 12 book goal, hoping I'll end the year having read more. On a side note that belongs in yesterdays post, I can inform you that I'm currently still reading Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett and that I've not given up. Even if I've been reading it for a very, very long time now. It's a good book.

The first book I read was


J.L. Langleys The Tin Star. I was just sitting a Saturday afternoon browsing on amazon.co.uk looking for books I could buy and I'd clicked on a whole bunch of books. You know how it is. They see what you last bought and recommend other stuff. So naturally I clicked on the cover thinking the young man in front of the hot texan behind him looked a little too pretty. Not at all something I'd go for. I read the recommendations and it sounded promising. It had a gay theme, it dealt with homophobia in the bible belt. Plus it was a little soap opera like, apparently. That would be a good way to start up the book challenge, I thought. I clicked, amazon.co.uk shipped and I started reading.

It's gay erotica. I know! I didn't read on the back because I wanted to be surprised and I was very, very surprised. At first I thought, well maybe this is vital to the plot, and it was. Then it reared (so to speak) it's ugly head again, and again. And again! Once I'd finished the book I noticed something on the book. It said "erotic romance" near the publishers logo. Huh!?! Now I'll be forever remembered by amazon.co.uk as the guy who bought gay erotica, and I'll be clicking the "not interested" button until I'm blue in the face.

I might as well just not do that. Truth be told I kind of liked the book. The characters were sweet and the story wasn't bad. It could have been longer and I wouldn't have complained either. It ends, although organically, a little rushed with an epilogue and that's it. Had it been me, I would have milked it for everything it had. So to speak. Risking ending up as that pervy old gay man everyone sort of looks at funny and rushes past in the hallway I might consider checking out more of them. This book lifted my spirit - and made me call my special gentleman friend who was only too happy to come over and laugh at me.

That said, I find it a little troubling that it seems like there are a million catagories for books, and when it comes to gay theme books there is only one catagory "gay and lesbian". Because there is more to it than that. The other gay themed books I've read were not erotica. Another thing, should it be erotico? Because it is marketed at men afterall and in languages like Spanish words that are "male" end with "o" or "i". Just something to think about.

The cute covers just keep coming don't they? Changing Tides by Michael Thomas Ford was bought at the same time as the previous book. The reason for buying this one was the recommendations from amazon.co.uk because I'd previously bought something else that was gay themed. The cover and the name of the author did help too. Somehow authors with 3 names that roll off the tongue like Michael Thomas Ford for instance just screams "you've got to read this" to me.

After a slow start, the book started picking up. Still I could never get over all the references to Cannery Row by John Steinbeck and Steinbeck in general. It also seemed to center around marine life and marine biology something I am yet to find even the slightest bit fascinating. That said, it wasn't all bad and I did stay up until 2am on Sunday night to finish it. That's something I guess. It's not a bad book. I did find it enjoyable, and if you like nudibranchs, marine biology, Steinbeck, history and the interactions between 16 year old girls and their estranged fathers interesting - combined with more goodies, this is the book for you. I'm not sure I'll read more by Michael Thomas Ford, at least not without reading what the book is actually about.

Now this was the first 2. Can't wait to share the next books with you.

11 comments:

  1. i envy you having the time to read...i must get some of that one day...i have books...just no time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've taken time. Instead of watching TV. I haven't had my TV on since Saturday.

    It's doable, but I have no clue what's going on in the world or who was eliminated in X-Factor and Strictly Come Dancing.

    That said, I like it. Reading, not missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I hate those websites that keep track of what you buy and make recommendations based on what you bought last time. If I wanted their advice, I'd ask for it! Nosy bastards!

    Have you not learn anything from MJ's book posts? If the cover art looks like that, it's probably gay erotica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Correction: Have you not learned anything from MJ's book posts?

    Was the Bible belt used when the cowpokes were knocking boots?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I didn't learn from MJ. Funny that..

    They didn't use the biblebelt for that but there sure was a lot of poking going on..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate rushed endings as well..
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I just read the Steinbeck?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scarlet: Me too. But there is such a thing as too long endings too.

    Tim: Sure, maybe you can read Steinbeck then I'll read the other guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gay and Marine biology themed.The mind boggles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pick up your copy today

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am standing on my chair and applauding..I don't have enough patience to read a proper book.
    I raced through the Da Vinci thingamabob because the chapters were only three pages long and I wanted to deconstruct all of the ridiculous pseudo-historical crap that Brown stole.

    I can muster trudging through the odd bite-sized magazine article or a dull dusty history or biology textbook...and my good-lady-wife races through novels like they're going out of style.
    So I just ask her what they are about? Saves a lot of time.

    ReplyDelete