Saturday, January 03, 2009

Because I'm just not that into you

New Years eve was good. I spent it watching movies alone or that isn't quite the truth. I got a call from a certain special gentleman friend around 10pm asking what I was up to. He was at a really dull party and thought he'd want to bring in the new year with me. It didn't take him that long to come over and we watched quite a few movies until we fell asleep on my sofa around 6.30am.

I started out at 6pm watching For Richer and for Poorer starring Tim Allen and Kirstie Alley (that was before she turned into Fat Actress) where they play a rich couple. They have a marital crisis of grand proportion and they go into hiding in an amish community because the IRS are after them for something someone else has done. Massive fun, all around.

Then Nine to Five came on - gotta love Dolly Parton. Massive hilarity occurred with her, Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda. I'd never seen that before and I must say it was great. Then again I did expect as much, but I was surprised about the storyline because I didn't know what it was all about. I just knew the song - love that!

After Dolly Parton, we (by then my special gentleman friend had arrived) put on Ghost starring Dirty Dancing hottie Patrick Swayze, Demi Moore and Whoopi Goldberg. I had missed that on TV earlier that day and really wanted to watch it again and my special gentleman friend has a thing for him. It was fun although more sweet than funny. It's strange how I remember that as a comedy more than romance.

Then it was around midnight and we were laying on my sofa watching the firework over the rooftops through my living room window. It was gorgeous. We had Champagne and cake.



After watching the firework we popped in White Chicks (I blame Bingowings because he mentioned Tori Spelling looked like them a while back) which is hilarious. We both enjoyed that quite a bit. The crude humour and of course the shapely Wayans Brothers made it a real winning movie.

When the movie was over we watched the Hallmark channel for a bit. There was an interesting movie/series about finding four bits of a tablet so that one could get some kind of huge power thing. It was very Indiana Jones except it starred one of the guys from the original 90210 Beverly Hills show. He was in the final seasons of it and so we had a long debate what his name on the show was, and we never figured it out. My special gentleman friend thought his name was Matt and for me it might as well have been Randolph because I stopped paying attention after Brenda left. He looked good though, although maybe a bit too much like a goody goody.

We lost interest in it when they mixed in a bit of the Tomb Raider plot so we debated if it was time for bed or if we should watch another movie. It was about 4am at the time, but we figured we might as well keep going. Picking a movie proved difficult but after a heated discussion we'd settled on two. Cold Mountain (my choice) and 2 Fast 2 Furious (his choice). We played paper, rock, scissors and I won.

I thought Cold Mountain would last 1 hr and 30 minutes or maybe 1 hr and 45 minutes. It was 2 hrs and 25 minutes! To our surprise it didn't feel that long. The movie was great and we both enjoyed it. Once it was finished he didn't feel like going home and I was very tired so we just shut our eyes and fell asleep. He woke up around noon and made breakfast and so we just sat and talked and watched some random TV, finally ending up on Channel 4 where they showed the movie Gossip.

At 2pm it ended and they started a Gossip Girl marathon. I'd never watched Gossip Girl so we watched that - all 8 episodes. That show is so gay it's not even funny! I liked it though. Except for one thing that really bothers me. The "xoxo Gossip Girl" comment in every episode. It really gets under my skin but my special gentleman friend told me to get over it and enjoy it for what it is and I said...

He may not understand why I love High School Musical but he accepts it (and I can't for the life understand why I don't love him!).

My special gentleman friend also loves Battlestar Galactica. Now that, I don't understand. Well, maybe a little bit because I do like Jamie Bamber

the show does seem rather too complicated for me, and there is no help from anyone who watches it. They all just say "keep watching" and that's so frustrating because by episode 6 I usually have some clue what's going. This show is really kind of eh? though. Because I don't know how they ended up in space flying around in that fleet of 45.000 humans or if the blonde woman in the red dress is a figment of the doctors imagination or what. She is a cylon though, I think I've figured out that much. The same goes for Sharon but then I'm not completely sure, and Starbucks really bugs me. So does the doctor - he is so annoying isn't he? I hope he dies but then the whole blonde woman plot would fall flat on its face wouldn't it.

Battlestar Galactica does seem like a well thought out show. The only two characters I do like are Jamie Bamber (because he is totally hot) and the President. I may just not be all that into it. Maybe episode 7 gets better? I may see a pattern here... is that why you are all still watching it?

31 comments:

  1. Blimey Pete, that was a bit of a movie marathon!
    Pleased you had a nice time... blonde women in red dresses eh?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take it as a hint Miss Scarlet.

    Get that Valentino on and party the night away!

    It was quite the movie marathon, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That black athlete who liked white women in White Chicks was hilarious! The movie marathon sounds like fun.

    As for Battlestar Galactica, it helps if you've seen the pilot movie. It was kind of slow for me too at first, but those first few episodes laid the foundation for the rest of the series. But it really does get better! Be prepared though, some of the best scenes are the really dark and rough and violent ones.

    As for that doctor who sees the cylon in red? He played Bridget Jones' gay friend (who had the one hit wonder). That means Bridget Jones is a cylon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. You have a great apt if you can see the fireworks from your living room--in addition to having them in your living room ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. pete...i have no idea why people watch battlestar...i really don't and i am into sci fi stuff...i just don't care for it...it always seems like there is something underlying but it never surfaces...i just stopped watching...

    ReplyDelete
  6. "and I can't for the life understand why I don't love him" - I presume you were referring to the special friend.
    I hope to hear more about him.
    Are your eyes square yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good god I hate Zach Effron.

    As for Galactica, yeah I second Eroswings - you need to see the miniseries/pilot episode that kicked it all off. Without that I imagine it doesn't make a whole lot of sense at all!

    Glad you had a great New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bingowings: He is!

    "No, it's just that your chair is on my wifes coat"

    I'll have to check out that pilot then. Wait, that came out wrong didn't it.

    My flat isn't that great, but there was a lot of firework in the sky that night and thankfully the other buildings aren't too close to mine.

    Daisy: I am giving it an honest shot. Actually I've given it more of a shot than any other series ever. I'm strangely attracted to it, but that may just be Jamie Bamber.

    KAZ: My eyes aren't square as much as they are carrying around huge suitcases.
    Regarding the special gentleman friend he only does special guest appearances and not like Joan Collins on Dynasty. In other words, he'll probably not get much mention.

    Tim: Yet you watch Gossip Girl? That guy Nate Archibald looks just like him!

    I'll do the pilot then. Wait, it just doesn't come out right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes but Nate doesn't burst into song every five minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know, it's all we are missing from Gossip Girl

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year, CyberPetra!

    Your (& your "certain special gentleman friend") NYE/NYD sounds just like mine (and SP's). TV, alcohol and cake - Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, so that's what IDV did on NYE - went all American Pie on a Victoria sponge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:57 am

    Happy New Year to you!
    I want some cake and champagne now, is it too early at 10am? And at work?

    Your cake looks yummy. I also had a bit of a movie marathon on New Year's Day but I am going to have to watch them again...

    Snoozed through them didn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  14. IDV: Thank you dear, you too!

    It was lovely wasn't it?

    Tim: Don't you mean Victoria spooge?

    MJ: You may want to sit this one out, so to speak.

    WPD: It's never too early for Champagne and cake! At work, not a problem - they'll love it if you share. I doubt you'd want to do that though.

    Did you watch Boomerang? I can't remember watching a more dull movie than that one but just you wait, when my memory returns...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous2:09 pm

    Was there any sex on the menu?

    (eg:- bumming, oral, mutual mastrabation)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nah, we've been there, done that, threw out the t-shirt

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am with everyone else on Battlestar. It maks no damn sense whatsoever.
    I hope Buffalo Bill isn't fiddling with himself

    ReplyDelete
  18. gawd, i'm out of touch, sugar! battlestar is back? on tv? since when? xoxox

    (did i drop by already and say happy new year, petey-pet? i am so not doing hangovers well anymore!!xoxo)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year!

    Plus, BSG does get better. Waaaaay better. Stick with it, there's loads of Bamber excellence.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beastie: He may be doing a bit of mastrabation whatever that is.

    Do you think it's something as(s)tral?

    Savannah: It sounds like you had an awesome birthday!

    I know it is in Canada, but other than that I'm not sure. I was just old to watch it.

    T-Birdy: Ditto!

    I'll see how much I manage because having seen the first season, I'm not all that impressed. Turns out I'm quite clueless still.

    Must watch those pilots!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like BSG but don't watch it regularly... I don't watch anything regularly. I work too many evening shifts and just never record anything, because I know I would not sit down to watch it later anyway!

    I've changed locations, CPete. Hope you come visit! Ponita in Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Pete... what are you watching now?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ponita: How can you keep up if you don't watch it regularly?

    I'll be sure to visit you!

    Scarlet: Hi Scarlet....

    I've been watching Gossip Girl and Heroes the past few days. Started Gilmore Girls yet again last night. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE Gossip Girl.....gawd knows why as it is utter crap , and I feel I should be vaguely embarrassed

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm shocked Beastie! Gossip Girl is so gay.

    Are we just a little bit fruity?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Frankly, I'm not all that surprised about Beast.

    All that talk of dainty little sandwiches with the crusts cut off.

    ReplyDelete
  27. But High Tea is not the same without cucumber sandwiches.

    Who am I kidding, the closest Beastie has gotten to High Tea is teabagging

    ReplyDelete
  28. sorry beast...but you should be embarrassed about that...some things are best kept for the inside beast and never let to see light...this is one of those things...

    still luv ya though...

    ReplyDelete
  29. and here I was proud of myself for watching all three Godfathers in one sitting...you are the man!

    I watch Battlestar because I love Starbuck...she is a real pistol!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can't even watch Ghost anymore. I love it and all, Goldberg was hilarious in it. But the other part of the movie turns me into a puddle of tears every time.

    ReplyDelete