Wednesday, December 31, 2008

All dressed up and nowhere to go

I'm not a big fan of New Years eve and especially not the day after. To me, today is means then end of Christmas and I was just getting really into the spirit of it. Another thing is having to look back at the past year. Everyone's doing the 2008 in review. Telling us what was good and what was bad. Personally I love reading those blogposts, watching the countdowns on TV and even the political and economy analysts telling us what's happened during 2008.

As I was doing the dishes earlier today I started thinking about what my final post of the year would be about. My mind went everywhere as usual and if I'd been in front of the keyboard at the time it would have ended up with me rambling on about the Queens speech and being single. How I got from annual reviews to that is a mystery even to me. However I did finally come up with something worth reading - I hope.

To me New Years has never been about going out partying and for the life of me, I have no clue why. Honestly I don't think I've ever been out dancing and partying on New Years. When I was kid it was about decorating my room for New Years, the Queens New Years speech, dinner, TV and a sip of Champagne at midnight before getting whisked off to bed.

As I got a little older I was allowed out with some of the people from school but I didn't really want to. They'd go around the neighborhood playing with firework and do all sorts of stuff to the houses where no one was home. Everything from spraying the windows with shaving cream, putting scotch tape over the keyholes to hanging the trashcan or Christmas tree up the flagpole. I wasn't that kind of boy. Not that I was above the tricks, they were alright, I just didn't like the fireworks. I mean, the big ones are pretty but most of the fireworks they'd throw around just made loud bangs or fizzled around on the ground for a bit. Besides, back then it was always cold on New Years.

I'd much rather be home watching TV all night. You see, unlike these days, there was always something worth watching on New Years eve. I guess this was one more reason why the kids at school thought I was strange. Then I didn't care that much, I didn't like any of them anyway.



If I wasn't watching TV, I was dancing around in my room. Pretending I was one of the disco divas. Boy, did I put on a show. Then after my parents had gone to bed I'd sneak into the living room and watch the concert shows that were on. Everything from the shows from the Folies Bergère in Paris, to the Boney M concerts. I loved it. Only to wake up the next morning very tired with nothing on TV but downhill skiing. If that's not a depressing way to start the new year I don't know what is.

These days I'm just celebrating New Years alone again. I don't want to go anywhere and this day has become a night like the the night of the Academy Awards. A night where I stay in, dress up and enjoy some of the finer things in life. Good food, good wine, good Champagne and good movies until the show starts. The show on this particular day being the fireworks over Copenhagen. Somehow all this doesn't scream '2008 is almost over, let's disco' to me.


Happy New Year everyone and a big big big - no make that HUGE happy birthday to Savannah!

10 comments:

  1. I'd love to have joined you in the disco dancing.
    After years of New Year's eve disappointments and New Year's day hangovers - I think you have the right idea.
    Happiest New Year to you Pete
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year!

    When I was a teenager, this was one of the few holidays that I actually got to stay out all night with the older kids and I wouldn't get in trouble! So naturally, I liked it!

    When I started living on my own, New Year's was the only holiday that I could actually make into my own. I went out, sometimes with friends, sometimes by myself, and just did different things. Trips to see big city fireworks, clubs, or block parties. It was some of the most wild and fun and memorable adventures of my life, esp. since I grew up in a tiny, remote place, fascinated by big cities and city life.

    Besides, most wanted Xmas off to spend with their families. We, single young adults, far away from home, had to work to cover those taking Xmas off. Still, we rather enjoyed it, because New Year's was just a big party. Every year, I do something different, and that makes it fun and exciting, trying something new, going with the flow and just enjoying the moment.

    Still, the t.v. countdown and the concerts are fantastic. I've recorded those a few times :) Enjoy your celebration! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm quite sure you're dressed as a disco diva right this moment and you're dancing around the room.

    Happy New Year to my fave Dane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, CP! I am just staying home myself... nowhere to go and no one to go with. But I am not really into the big party scene either.

    May 2009 be full of great times for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're always worth reading! I'm also not a big fan of New Year - in the past years when I have gone out it's always seemed like a massively expensive anticlimax. These days I just like spending it round with my folks - good times indeed!

    Happy New Year to you Pete - I hope 2009 is a great year for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you should have been around here in the late 70's early 80's...we would have had a splendid time!!! disco was ALL the rave...my dance partner was a gay man who i adored as a friend and we had a brilliant time going out and having fun...neither of us had to worry about waking up in a bed we didn't belong...and quite frankly i never felt more safe than with him by my side...
    new years hasn't been the same since his passing...he was a good man, to be sure!
    hope you never lose the enjoyment you have for the day and evening before...it's not really about the party so much anymore, more about letting go of the past year for me...best wishes for 2009!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year Mr. CyberPete!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year Pete!
    Next year I'll pop over and we'll do the glitter ball thing together.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  9. KAZ: Thank you!

    Next year you and Scarlet can come over and we'll dance to our own disco beat.

    Bingowings: Thanks!

    I really hope you had a fabulous day/night. Maybe I should try and get out on that night.

    MJ: Darling, how did you know?

    Hah! I had to do a quick change before my friend came over.

    Ponita: Thanks, I hope you had a great night. I'm not very sociable so I enjoy being alone on a night like that.

    Tim: Thanks so much!

    Hope you had a great night with your family - and I'm hoping you'll make my 2009 a year with much laughter as you did 2008.

    Daisy: Thanks, you too!

    We can still party like it's (almost) 1988!

    Frobi: Why thank you, and a happy new year to you too Mr. Frobisher!

    Scarlet: You are very welcome, let's try and get Kaz to come too - and maybe Daisy and we can (almost) party like it's 1988

    ReplyDelete
  10. PETEY-PET!!! you are a delicious darlin for remembering my birthday with such a gracious greeting and gorgeous picture! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete