Saturday, December 27, 2008

'Tis the Season

Now that's how I wanted to spend Christmas. Instead I had spent days getting ready for my parents arrival. Cleaning and baking and holiday shopping. I do love to shop, and impressing people with my wonderful skills in the arts of throwing a dinner party. The latter being the reason I took on this endeavour to begin with. It all went fine. My mother had her usual remarks and I fired back. I've learned from the best. At the end of the day I'm quite pleased as they have now been gone for about 26 hours and I've got a bit of a headache. After they left, my dear readers, I took a long hot shower and opened a nice bottle of Italian red wine and spent the day/night on the sofa. The sound of nothing is pure bliss.

In a previous post I wrote about the family traditions and as much as they were greatly appreciated when I was a child things change. As I fell out with my brother I made the decision to celebrate Christmas on my own, and have done it a few times. That's what I love the most. I like not having people dictating when you eat and all that. Just enjoying the day and going with the flow. Usually I would watch Christmas movies all day, only interrupted by the Disney Christmas Show at 4pm (that reminds me, I've got to watch Wall-E sometime - sooo cute!). Along with Christmas movies comes the Champagne and great food. It didn't have to be traditional Christmas food. The food could be Chateau briand or something wonderful like that. As long as it was a day of selfindulgence and joy. Plus I get along better with myself than any of my family anyway.

As it always is, this is a holiday of TV actors. I've seen Sabrina the Teenage Witch (Melissa Joan Hart) kidnap the sexy guy AC Slater from Saved by the Bell (Mario Lopez). Tim the Toolman Taylor from Tool Time (Tim Allen) succumbing to the Santa Clause and Woopi Goldberg (she had her own show and it tanked) doing the same thing as Tori 'bighead' Spelling and Patrick Stewart. Dylan McDermott of The Practice particiated to the Miracle on 34th Street. Lauren Graham of the fabulous Gilmore Girls had a Santa Clause fetish in Bad Santa and Jim Belushi Jingled All the Way. It seemed like Wallace Shawn is an important part of this holiday as he popped up in quite a few Christmas movies. He was a wizzard in Mr. St. Nick with Fraisers own Kelsey Grammar and in Karoll's Christmas he played opposite Verne Troyer and Larry Miller. It's TV actors ahoy this time of year.

The time, between Christmas and New Years is an odd one. It's really anything is it? It's not quiet New Years and Christmas is over. For me though, Christmas stays until the 31st and New Years takes over. So I'm keeping my holiday decorations up and although I don't have any more biscuits (those were sent home with my parents so they are probably in a bin at the closest rest stop on the motorway) my spirit of Christmas is up as well. So pop on that Christmas album and let's disco until New Years!

20 comments:

  1. you can do the countdown with me, sugar!!! new year's eve is my BIRTHDAY!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. cyberpete...i wasn't sure all of the details but was getting hints through your posts that this was not a regular event anymore...i am glad you did it though...it shows strength and you have been building that for a while...sometimes it comes to us in odd times but at least it comes...have a great new year and be bold!!!!

    happy pre birthday savannah, as i wouldn't want to miss it but the memory isn't as brilliant as it used to be...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that Eroswings in the cowboy hat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it went well!
    We had Johnny Depp on the telly last night...
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Savannah: I will!

    It'll be a party.

    Daisy: I have become a difficult person to be around because I'm so used to having things done my way at home. The man who'll be my boyfriend (hopefully) will have to be a very tough cookie.

    MJ: [something about Bingowings and his pole pointing north]

    Scarlet: Really, a holiday movie?

    You must give me the title of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a big fan of the week after Christmas … it's like the whole thing is over, and New Years is always a massive anticlimax. But hey! It's still time of work: hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What, no bags of goodies on a calendar? no singing Xmas carols and walking around the tree?

    I can relate in some ways. It's been years since I've actually spent the holiday with immediate family. Half of us live too far away; the other half can't be in the same room without arguments breaking out. I'm fine with that.

    It seems every other year, though, I inadvertently spend the holidays with good friends, esp. if I end up near them because of work or vacation. I've had some really great experiences with them. My friends are the family I get to pick. I'm fine with that, too.

    Other times, like this year, I work. That's fine, too. Besides, I don't have to wait for a certain date to put on some decorations, give some gifts, and enjoy a good party. I can do that year round.

    Usually, the week between Xmas and New Year's Day are days to scope out the holiday sales; the last big sale of the season is the After New Year's Day sale. That's what happens in America!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim: You are spot on. But why not just make it Christmassy instead of thinking anticlimax.

    I too am working those two days this year and you are right about New Years. Except it's Savannah's birthday!

    Bingowings: Well, I do decorate but that's about it. The spirit of Christmas is always there I find it's easier to catch when family members aren't trying to squash it.

    Sales are dangerous. I may brave the crowds on Monday but only because I have to go to work and may take some presents back after work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a nice old time.I can just imagine you lounging on the Chaise Longue with a box of chocolates like Joan Collins :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you are good at throwing dinner parties you should be on a reality show over here. Compulsive viewing.
    From Mon to Fri each person entertains the others to an evening at their home and a 3 course meal. They vote for the winner.
    There's a celebrity version which you could enter - of course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beastie: That's how I picture myself.

    Pure bliss.

    KAZ: That's not really a reality show is it?

    I'm so over reality tv though. But don't disturb me during Big Brother.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dead Man's Chest - Pirate film II. A swashbuckling epic.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's no holiday movie though. Where's Scrooge and Santa Clause?

    Or Wallace Shawn?

    PS. I must confess I don't like the Pirates movies - and Mr. Depp is all too overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:14 am

    Bh the week after Xmas, I am back at work. Double bah! Except it has given me the time to catch up on all the blogs.

    You should pop over for a cold Xmas in Londres sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're right, the quietness that kicks in after the family has left is so nice. I love my family, but we all need our space, don't we? I like your idea of unwinding with a hot shower, some wine and lounging on the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry Pete!
    btw: Happy New year!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year to you Pete :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. WPD: I would love to spend Christmas in London. Just walking around looking at all the lights and such (eating Tesco cheesecake).

    Tara: It works wonders. The shower was like washing off all the nagging comments my mother had made.

    Scarlet: It's ok, I just got all excited about the prospect of a Christmas movie starring the Depp. Could be quite hilarious.

    Happy New Year to you too

    Beastie: Likewise!

    ReplyDelete
  19. *Breaks dishes at CP's door*

    Godt Nytår!

    Best wishes for a safe, spectacular, sensational New Year! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tak i lige måde!

    Or, you too!

    ReplyDelete