Friday, May 23, 2008

Green fingers

I've never been good at keeping flowers alive. At some point, really quickly, I lose interest and simply forget to water them. This usually kills whatever flower I have and then it gets an unceremonious funeral by simply dumping it in the trash. I think the only plants I've ever successfully kept alive for a long period of time were cacti.

Honestly I don't really care that much about flowers. I mean, they do look lovely and do make it more homey. Still potted plants or flowers have never been my thing, there is simply too much work in keeping them alive and I don't have some strapping young lad watering my plants and doing my laundry for me. So I've avoided them, occasionally buying cut flowers for vases as that's really more my thing. The problem is, there is no flower shop around here that sells cut flowers, the closest thing is petrol stations and I'm not going down that route. They are always really bad.

Well my parents gave me this flower when I moved in here.

Fleur de catpiss

My mother says she bought it for me because it was easy to keep alive, and still maintains that it wasn't because it smells like cat pee. I decided against febreezing it, laminating it and whatever other suggestions you had for me. In the end the flowers fell off and it stopped smelling.

So the other day I was going to water it for the first time in probably 4 weeks and I noticed it has changed. Not in the about to die kind of way, no no, I asked at a flower shop down the street. It's in the feeling so good that it wants to be even bigger and more beautiful that it already is.

I am in shock to be honest, because I've been nothing but unkind to it thinking I'd probably dump in the bin bag in a couple of weeks. This is how it looks now.

Photobucket

I still have no idea what kind of flower it is but it seems to work for me. I just wish it wouldn't smell so bad when it's in full bloom.

18 comments:

  1. whatever it is, it's a forgiving plant to look so gorgeous after weeks of no watering! well done, sugar! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love houseplants. I have a Peace Lilly that I am currently killing softly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you. What a beautiful plant. You need another one next to it that has a stronger sent.

    I love my plants.

    t-bird: I have a Peace Lilly to.

    CP: Get yourself a Aloe Vera plant as well as looking good you can us it as well.For Eczema, sun burn and insect bites.

    I've grown a plant from a Avocado stone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tatas: Is there a plant that will get rid of his gonorrhea?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, that's great! It does look healthy!

    This happened to me when I took in some plants that were one step away from becoming garbage. I watered them and gave them sunlight, thinking it was all useless, then walked in one day and found blossoms and fresh, green leaves! That was a year ago, and they're still alive and are growing taller!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow! You've got a mutant plant! Actually, I was thinking paperwhites smell like cat pee when they flower, but your plant doesn't look like one. It's a real nice one. You're mom doesn't know it's name?

    I've killed plants...killed aloes and cacti one summer by watering them everyday. Nobody told me that I only needed to water them once a week!

    If I could, I'd like to grow gardenias in the house. Unfortunately, I'm not home often enough to care for plants properly. I'm afraid traveling with 'em might kill 'em.

    Oh, well, back to the plastic ones; they only need to be dusted every now and them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Savannah: Thank you! It's very forgiving and I can't believe it's still alive so I might get another one.

    T-Birdy: As long as you kill it softly it's alright. Right?

    Tatas: Do aloe vera plants smell stronger?

    Are they easy to keep alive?

    Are avocado plants easy to keep alive?

    MJ: It's already taken care of a long time ago. Your parties always leave their mark.

    Tara: It's odd isn't it, when you stop caring and treat them badly they come alive.

    Bingowings: I've killed a few cacti in my youth too because of over watering.

    I don't like plastic flowers, the ones I've seen always look really fake. But just put them in the shower for a second, shake them and leave to dry when too dusty. That IS easy,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lawks! It's a Triffid! It'll sneak up on you when you're least expecting it and blind you with its poison proboscis!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a Triffid, it's poisonous?

    It blinds you?

    Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I noticed an inconsistency in your post - you say there's not a flower shop nearby, then in the next paragraph say you went into a flower shop down the street. WHICH IS IT MAN!?

    JUST LAMINATE THE F**KER!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tatas, I think I am going to get an aloe vera to keep my peace lilly company! Good call - they are plants that do look good together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tim: Stop thinking about Harrison Ford naked and read "there is no flower shop around here that sells cut flowers"

    I'm thinking I'll give it a while and if it becomes smelly again I just might laminate it.

    T-Birdy: So many plants to kill and so little time....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cut flowers, flowers - what the hell's the difference?!

    Is there any - I don't know!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well flowers come in flower pots or as cut flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  15. A flower's a flower to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As long as you buy me flowers I'm good

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will grass cuttings and sticks do?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll take anything I can get

    I'm cheap like that

    ReplyDelete