Thursday, May 15, 2008

How to do....stuff!

A while ago I went out and bought new furniture. You see, since I moved in here in December last year I've been missing a lot of stuff. Coffee tables, a rug for under my dining room table and a desk and chair for my office/guest room. All I had in my office/guest room was one of those sofas that you can pull out and it becomes a bed (let it be noted that it's a rubbish one and I'm thinking of buying a new one).

I didn't have a desk and chair because I threw out the old one when I moved. The reason, it was ugly. So the search went on to find some kool and affordable furniture and since I've been to Ikea - one of the most horrid experiences of my life, I ended up at Ilva. Lovely shop, nice furniture well at least the Danish branches I've been to. Still buying stuff from Ilva means you have to assemble it yourself but how hard can it be assembling a desk and chair? It certainly couldn't be a nightmare... could it?

Photobucket

Attach bracket C to bracket B using screw 8. Well I have already used bracket C and there never were any screw 8. Screw you! Of course once the metal structure was assembled it was a hoot to dance in. I got to do Physical, Human Nature and 9 to 5. You have no idea how much cardboard, flamingo (I like the Danish word for polystyrene), plastic and assorted wrapping there was left over once it was done. It was a nightmare. I had a choice, either throw it out over my mock balcony or carry the 4 loads down through the basement, one at a time. Naturally I went for door number 1 saving 3 trips through the less than charming basement.

It turns out it wasn't all for nothing, it does look fabulous.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Turns out, I'm a little bit handy with a screwdriver, and oh boy I felt manly when I was done. I almost craved a beer, so naturally I made myself a pink cocktail. I'm all better now.

15 comments:

  1. Nice job! That is a great looking desk! Did you hit anybody when you threw out the trash from the window?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm only handy with the kind of screwdriver that comes in a glass.

    Your desk does look great, all pretty and shiny. So many great things are all pretty and shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ::through gritted teeth:: It's lovely, CyberPetra. Glossy and modern - Very tasteful.

    * seethes in jealousy just as CyberPetra predicted *

    * SEETHES! *

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you've gone and done it CP, You've upset IDV you're gonna have to go get him one now as mine doesn't seem to be good enough.

    *tut tut*

    You've done a great job there CP loving the black and chrome look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! I am doing my study soon! That is one fantastic desk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why isn't Infomaniac on your screen?

    ReplyDelete
  7. very sleek, sugar! nicely done ;-) xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bingowings: Thanks!

    I didn't but I did meet someone down there when I was going to put it in the bins. She was 80 and didn't appreciate it as much as I did.

    Dinah: That was my thought too, they are the best screwdrivers by far though.

    IDV: Really? I thought for a second you wouldn't like it because your furniture was proper wood and gorgeous silk (looks like silk) covered chairs.

    I actually wanted a black glass desk with metal legs but it was too big.

    Tatas: Oh dear, maybe they sell it at Ilva in the UK? I didn't check. But your desk was so delightfully geeky.

    Oh and thanks, it does start looking worn and scratchy rather quickly because of the glossy surface.

    T-Birdy: Exciting stuff, you must post photos when you get started.

    MJ: Because my world doesn't revolve around you - well I had to at least make it appear that way.

    Savannah: Thanks dear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a shiny desk - very nice!

    And well done you for putting it all together - I'm very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Tim, you are so lovely.

    What felt best was cleaning afterwards though. The actual screwdriving extravaganza wasn't all it's cracked up to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to have a nice modern interior, but my house is just too old to be able to carry it off, hence the wood and silk etc.
    I'll just have to get another house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well that's first stop but on the other hand there is something really nice about wooden furniture and silk and doing it right it can look very tasteful and modern.

    I have little else to do but go modern as my appartment is so white and neutral. Putting in wooden furniture like yours would just look odd.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's very sexy and modern, I love the shiny of the desk. Sadly, we don't have that store you went to here.

    It's going to have to be Ikea. Which is ok. It's like a 2 minute drive away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. But Ikea is a nightmare to be in. At least the Danish one I went to. I swear I'm still traumatized and I went in February.

    I hope they have something you like though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fancy Schmancy.

    SSSHHH!
    Don't let the Ruskies find out how handy you are with a scewdriver or they'll kidnap you and put you to work assembling Trabants...
    apparently they can be put together in 2 hours by 53 komrades using only a Phillips, a Robertson, 6 gallons of Vodka, and 30 rolls of duct tape.

    ReplyDelete