Friday, June 06, 2008

Danish Stuff

I'm taking a little break from the seemingly endless saga, that doesn't seem to want to end. So without further ado, here is a food post. Danish food no less. You won't find much food that's more Danish than this

With the summer rapidly approaching your appetite changes. Well some peoples, not mine. I'm as hungry as always but a lot of people eat seasonal foods. In the winter you have your stews and as spring, summer and autumn approaches your selection of foods change. Of course there is always the big meat feasts at barbecue day but then you also have cold pea soup, more salads etc. That's the way it's been in my family anyway, and the people around us. Suddenly when summer comes along there are no more mystery meat in some unspeakable sauce.

So what do we Danes have in the summer I hear you ask with great anticipation in your voices? Excellent question actually, because as summer sneaks up on us we steer towards something that is so Danish in fact, that it doesn't have an actual name in any other language than Danish. Of course it's a dairy product (sorry Donn) because we are in fact a proud dairy country in this little kingdom we like to call Danmark. Introducing a lovely light summer meal



KOLDSKÅL MED KAMMERJUNKER


Although this dish of Koldskål med Kammerjunker doesn't have a name in any other language it apparently does translate into English and is. *drum roll* cold buttermilk soup with rusks (?). It it's actual buttermilk soup but it's what comes the closest to a proper description. However much I hate buttermilk soup, I like Koldskål. It works as a dessert or a proper summer meal. It's only sold in the summer.

As you are quite facinated with our language even though some think we are swedish muppets (I love you dear!) I will be showing you the packaging as well as the final product so I hope you will enjoy it.


Photobucket



The carton says "Koldskål with eggs". Notice how it opens the old fashion way.



Photobucket



Notice how it's an Arla product like the infamous milk. This is also where you find how much fat etc. there is in the product and the ingredients. That's always fun to know, so I'll translate that for you.



90,5% Buttermilk, lemon-egg mixture (6% sugar, 3% pasteurized egg, lemon concentrate, vanilla aroma, vanilla extract, vanilla seeds)



Photobucket



The third and last angle of the carton that looks different from the first one. It has a lovely text of how classic it is and tasts like good old fashioned buttermilk soup.



Photobucket



Here are the rusks (?). I have no idea if that's right as I've never heard that word before in my life but in Danish they are Kammerjunker. A sweet tasting sort of biscuit cookie combination. As far as I know, they are only used for this and hot elderberry soup. Which some Danes also eat, but I don't. These are the originals made by Karen Volf. It was one of those factories that seduced us into thinking country charm, old woman working in her farmer kitchen baking all sorts of stuff for us all day - and loving it. When in reality it was a blooming business run out of a very industrialized boring factory. Now bought by the large Bisca company.



Photobucket



Here is an unsuccessful shot of the back of the bag. You can't really see anything but it says the usual things such as "can contain traces of nuts" and what's in it. Nothing exciting at all.



Photobucket


Here is the final product. Just pour the cold buttermilk soup product into a dish and crush some rusks on top and voilá you've got yourself a nice summer meal. If you want you can add fruits and berries. Strawberries and blackberries work very well in it.



Velbekomme!

13 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Those rusks look like shortbread cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MJ: What are YOU trying to say?

    Bingowings: They are muy delicioso!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not complaining or anything but I'd rather see that Danish butt in the FGES!!

    *sniffs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The carton it comes in looks nice. Very grassy and Summer-like. :)

    I've never even had American buttermilk, but that whole thing looks tasty, especially with the little biscuits mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tatas: Patience dear, patience.

    It is a virtue you know

    Tara: It does look really summer-like and it does actually taste good.

    You can make it yourself if you combine yoghurt, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. You add vanilla sugar and lemon if you are into that, I'd recommend it. I'm sure there is a proper recipe out there for it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that I have been so tardy but I am so busy at this time of year...anyway, I loved your saga.
    You have a wonderful way with characters that ring true. I may be reading more into the nuance but I am hearing a great deal about the inner angst of how we manage our lives and avoid certain entanglements.

    This soup sounds weird..but I am not very adventerous when it comes to food. I am so oldschool about soup...
    Suppe sollte heißes gedient werden.

    About my recent post..if you need to see what makes me want to talk about it go here to my blogpal Breakerslion... http://confusionofideas.blogspot.
    com/
    ...and prepare to simultaneously laugh and be sickened and amazed at his recent posting on total f*cking retarded nutjobs who under the guise of religion preach inane bullsh*t and outright hatred..
    see at what is STILL going on in the US..
    on the airwaves every day in the 21st Century?...
    and these f*ckers
    (no doubt Republicans all)
    get to f*cking VOTE and get tax exemptions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In England, rusks are baby food. They're smushed up in milk and fed to the yowling little monsters.

    This Koldskål med Kammerjunker seems like a grown up version of baby food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donn: Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. You can read into it what you will. I didn't sit down wanting to do something that sounds so clever when you describe it. But I'll take a compliment when I get it. Thank you.

    Du bíst korrekt aber diese suppe is nicht ordinary soup. I wouldn't call it soup. Especially because it has no veggies in it.

    I'll have to swing by your friends blog. Thanks for telling me about it.

    IDV: No matter, it's still good. You should try it. Maybe I should buy some and send it to you. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could go for that…

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good call Timothy!

    What if it was blue?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Probably not so much…

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww. But blue food is good!

    There is entirely too little blue food.

    ReplyDelete