Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The colour brown

Todays post is dedicated to the colour brown. Not this lovely brown


but more of a faux pas brown, like this


As you already are aware I had a childhood friend and colleague over for the weekend. He arrived on Friday and left yesterday afternoon. I would love to be able to say that everything went great. That we had a brilliant time but we didn't. At least I didn't. Everything went great Friday where I bought a Nintendo Wii. I've been wanting one for some time now and as I left work early I was able to swing by the shops to buy one. I also bought a few games.
We went back to my flat so that he could dump his bags and then we could figure out what we were going to do. After much discussion we ended up playing some Wii (he calls it Wii-Wii, I assume it's because he must be mildly retarded or just can't read) and went downstairs to fetch a pizza.

Now, all evening I heard nothing else but how he was going to go spend a lot, A.LOT. of money on clothes and shoes. It sounded like he had brought his big wallet. But we firstly went to this fantastic music shop near the Copenhagen Zoo. The CDs and movies were dirt cheap and we both spent way too much money. After that we went into town and walked up and down the highstreet looking at shops. He pointed out which shops he thought he might find something he liked in, but when I asked if we should go in there he said no. He thought we should wait until Monday for that. Hmmm. After that, we went back home and watched a couple of movies. He showed surprisingly good taste by both liking Stardust and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I was shocked. He is usually more into American Pie and other teenage comedies.

Sunday we just hung out back at my place. We did go for a walk because he wanted to see the neighbourhood (I assume it was to point out the bad neighbourhood but it isn't - hah! joke's on him!). All in all he was being a bit of a sourpuss. I gave him every chance to go somewhere, alone or with me, but he didn't seem to want to go anywhere. I went to bed really early that night because he wanted to watch American Football. Ok, I still don't get it. Most of the first game I was sleeping on the sofa, but then they mentioned tight ends and wide receivers and I woke up. Only to be sorely disappointed.

Monday was a real winner. We went back into town and walked down the highstreet. It was not horrid weather and he quickly located a Foot Locker where he found a pair of shoes he liked. They were brown. I let that pass because some people like brown shoes and who am I to question that. Although to me it is a bit bizarre. I did ask if he wore brown belts, to which he said he didn't wear belts. My question to you now is, what are the rules then? Anyway on we went to another shoe shop where he located another, much nicer pair of shoes but he picked them out in brown. They looked so lovely in black. Still he didn't buy anything.

We walked down the street looking at shops, and I made suggestions to go into a bunch of shops, all looking like they had some kool clothes. Yet he didn't want to. He just said it didn't look like they had anything in his style (i.e. brown) and everything was either too trendy, street or smart. He said that a few times before I was brave enough to tell him I didn't understand why he went over here to expect to sell the exact same stuff as back where he lives. If he was after the same stuff, he should shop back there and frankly the trends over here are different. It's less provincial here. He naturally took offence. So we walked past a few other shops that had really nice stuff before we found a shop he wanted to look into. When I say look into, I mean just that. The doors were open, and he put his head inside, there was hardcore rap music blaring out of the speakers and a bunch of hoodies that would look good on some Eastside gangbangers. He looked at a few T-shirts and said he kind of liked them and then immediately changed his mind again. After we left that doorway I needed a lobotomy. I don't know if it was the shopping or the music, but it was horrid. By then he decided he was only going to buy a pair of shoes, and so he did.

I wouldn't mind going shopping with him, and going through every single shop looking for ick and poo brown T-shirts and not finding any. It would have been fine, if he had just put his heart into it. But going shopping with someone who just walks about looking down at everything for not being exactly like he wants it and not making an effort. That's just wrong. I will never go shopping with that stickly no brain creature again. Of course the same day we had a huge row and we went to a huge mall. In fact the largest in Scandinavia, but he of course didn't believe that and said the one close to him in a provincial town was much larger. Normally I would have just let it go but I couldn't. It wasn't pretty. That was another very early night for me.

Tuesday I had to get up really early because some workmen came by to check out the ventilation in the kitchen and bathroom. One of the guys complimented my shower faucet thingy to which my friend grumbled something. This was the day of annoyances. He started bugging me on purpose and it got pretty bad and we left for the central train station at 2pm even though his train didn't leave until 3.50pm.

Of course the flat looked like a bomb had gone off after I got back. He didn't help tidy up anything at all. In the mornings he just got up really early and went into my cupboards and found some cheerios on his own and ate that. He just left his dirty dishes by the sink. Even the little things bother me and they still do. We have agreed (before he came over) that we are going to the States together for 4 weeks next year. I don't know if we'll both make it home alive though. He nearly didn't make it out of my flat alive after day 4.

This is some of the stuff I bought while he was here. I also bought Family Guy Season 1, Marie Antoinette and another DVD and a pair of shoes. You'll probably see the shoes in an upcoming post.

11 comments:

  1. What an arse!

    (him, not you, just to clarify)

    I'm not surprised you're glad he's gone. Enjoy the Wii in peace. And, um, Shane … Ward …

    Yeeeeeah…

    Oh, and first bitches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was probably a little harsh but it was all true.

    The worst thing is that most of the people at work know he was here and ask if we had a good time. I can't actually say no because they know him and we work together.

    Thanks, not sure I like the Shane Ward album. I heard two of the tracks today on my iPhone and one was ok, the other was abysmal. He looks good though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time he visits, just go spend a day at the Sex Museum. I'm sure you'll both enjoy it! At the very least, you'll have some thing to talk about.

    Sounds to me like he wanted to do stuff but he wasn't sure what. Maybe you'll have better luck just planning out activities and dragging him to them.

    I'm sure you'll both work out your trip to the US well. Sometimes, friends get cabin fever when they're cooped up for a while. The fact that he kept bugging you was just a cry for attention. He obviously wanted to hang out with you, but he wasn't sure how to spend that time. Just plan out all your activities for the US visit (or any visit). You don't have to stick to the plan, but it'll be a good guide to help you two adapt to any changes.

    I luv Savage Garden. Their first album is actually one of the very rare CDs that I can listen to non stop. I like all the music on it. Too bad they broke up, but man, they made some great music! Some of the best songs come from bands who burst on to the scene, reach the top, and flame out in a glorious supernova...but you never forget their music!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Savage Garden too!

    Speaking of which, you should have sent your guest to the moon and back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen Cyberpoofs wii wii
    ***sniggers***
    He sounds a bit of a dick , and having to put up with it for 4 days must have been a bit of a nightmare :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a row. Better to let off steam than to bottle it all up.
    You'll love Marie Antoinette.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bingowings: You are probably right. Very insightful. I just don't have the patience for all that acting like a child thing. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

    Donnnnn: Why would we want him back? Shouldn't he just stay up there, for all mankind.

    Beastie: It wasn't. I need a holiday after all that. Actually I spent most of Sunday after he left, just sitting staring at the wall enjoying the silence.

    Kaz: Yes, well it wasn't enough. I should have sent him home Sunday.

    I suspect I might. All those glorious dresses and wigs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How are you going to cope with four WEEKS if four DAYS went badly?

    I need a drink after reading this and I wasn't even there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tell myself I am not sharing a room with him and that we don't have to spend every day together.

    Plus they do sell alcohol in the States. Right?

    Right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. They sell bountiful amounts of alchohol. Much, much booze.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The real test of friendship is not whether you get along all the time, but that you can argue and still will support each other afterwards.

    I have friends that I argue with every now and then--and I made the mistake of vacationing with them one time! But at the end of the day, I know that they'll back me up when I need it, just as I would back them up.

    It's good that you found out about the clash in 4 days--much better than 4 weeks. Rather, you can now start a discussion and plan your vacation accordingly.

    And I still had better vacations with my friends the next few times, after we learned from the first horrible one!

    ReplyDelete