Monday, November 24, 2008

And on the third day...

I was talking to a friend a while back about actors. To be honest I can't remember how we came upon the topic but we often if not always end up talking about famous people, mostly actors and such. As he is a Madonna troll (this is said with as much affection as possible because he is the only lovely Madonna troll ever to be seen on this planet) she is mentioned much but this time we came to talk about dead movie stars.

It may have been when discussing Heath Ledger as I often comment on how I think the only reason people are making him into some sort of acting Messiah or simply put, the best actor who have ever lived because he is dead and starred in a Batman movie. Note how I'm completely unbiased and totally tasteful in the critique of a mans acting I can't base upon the Batman movie as I haven't seen it but rather that of Brokeback Mountain (in which he gruntled a few times and spitshined Jake Gyllenhalls rosebud) and 10 Things I Hate About You. Both good movies in their own right, but I am not overly impressed. Anyway, back on track.

I mentioned how I thought it was so sad that Dom Delouis had died back in the mid 1990s. He was such a good comedic actor. Then I went on to rehash his appearances on the remake of Spellings series Burke's Law, being Fagin in Disneys Oliver & Co, Spaceballs, The Muppets movies and not to forget The Cannonball Run. It was such a sad loss for all of us.

Five minutes later my friend (hereafter known affectionately as Madonna Troll) then noted that my monologue was very sweet but that Dom DeLouis is in fact very much alive. He was in Baby Geniuses with Kathleen Turner and Samantha from Sex & The City in 1995 and that weird guy from Ally McBeal. Oh, right.

I can't say I wasn't a little disappointed but also rather relieved that he was not dead. Well how about John Candy I asked? Oh right, he died in 1994 from a heart attack.

May he rest in peace.

14 comments:

  1. "spitshined Jake Gyllenhalls rosebud"...

    I shall try to work this into a conversation today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading this and thinking "but Dom's still with us…"

    ReplyDelete
  3. MJ: You must send me a transcript of the conversation.

    Tim: I guess I was the only one who knew otherwise.

    Good thing Dom wasn't informed eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I actually remember Heath Ledger from the tv series, Roar. and movie Blackrock. Then I recognized him in 10 Things and the Patriot. I particularly enjoyed the movie, A Knight's Tale--it was something different. He did an amazing performance in Monster's Ball.

    I didn't know Dom DeLouis was still alive either; I still see his sons in movies and tv shows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Heath Ledger was in 'A knight's Tale' with Rufus Sewell. Rufus Sewell - swoon [ever so slightly]
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to know how successful MJ was working that into a sentence...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bingowings: Oh right, he was in The Patriot too. I was bored watching that at the movies. Twice.

    At that time we only had one movie theater in town and they had two screening rooms so it was either that or the other. I probably had seen the other one too (which must have been worse).

    Who are his kids?

    Scarlet: I'm curious as to how someone named Rufus can be swoonable.

    Must look him up sometime.

    T-Birdy: So am I. She must share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Candy was hilarious. I don't know if you've ever seen any of his characters on SCTV?
    My fave movie role was his portrayal of the idiot brother of Tom Hanks in Splash.

    "Have you got enough money....
    can I have some then?"


    The scene where he is playing racquetball while smoking and holding a beer is classic.
    "My heart is beating like a rabbit"

    Dom cracked me up too. He always played the exasperated nudge to a tee...especially with Burt Reynolds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen anything with Heath Ledger in , and I will have to go and google Dom as I am not sure who he is (I am not very god with names) however I do know who John Candy is which is unfortunate since he's dead

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:24 pm

    Rosebud! Rosebud? I loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness knows those rosebuds need polishing. They're always so not shiny.

    Are we talking about Citizen Kane here?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donnnnn: I'm not familiar with those. Canadian Bacon and the movie where he is a private detective looking for a rich young girl. You must remember, there is a scene with a vent where a coin falls out and then a big noise from it. The man says 'Bingo!' and out falls John Candy.

    Beastie: John Candy was fab. So is Dom.

    Heath you ask? Oh, you didn't.. Nevermind.

    WPD: Oh rosebud, rosebud, where art thou rosebud?

    T-Birdy: I have no idea. It's all too sophisticated for me

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous11:35 pm

    Yep T-bird, that makes sense, he was thiking about his rosebud! Men do that, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought men were more into their penis than their rosebud

    ReplyDelete