Monday, November 10, 2008

Mortens Aften

To be honest I try to make it Petes Day every day, or at least as much as humanly possible. Still, wouldn't it be glorious if there was an official day called Petes Day or if you had a day? I like the idea even if it's not a national holiday.

One day every year, today actually. Well it's not today, it's not until tomorrow. This is a pretty complicated day. Tonight, November 10, is "Mortens Evening" this is the eventful bit but tomorrow is actually "Mortens Day". The funny thing is the man the day is named after was actually not named Morten. His name was Martin, but this was back in the year 300 and something. Having taken the time to do a bit of research on this, I've found out that it was St. Martin who didn't want to become bishop.

So one day, on November 10 he hid on a sty where geese were kept but the geese made a lot of noise alarming the people looking for him and he was found and forced to become bishop. Apparently he made a decree that on November 11 everyone should kill and eat geese. As goose was such a large and expensive meal, it was later changed for the cheaper and smaller duck. I'm assuming that the reason why we now eat it on Mortens evening instead of Mortens Day is because every tradition changes over the years.

For many years Mortens Aften hasn't been celebrated or used commercially to sell things, but in recent years it's made a comeback. For my mother it's a test of what Christmas is going to be like. As per tradition my mother cooks a duck, does white and brown potatoes (coated in caramel), red cabbage and a rice pudding which isn't actually rice pudding but all this food is so Danish it doesn't have English words. I'll try to find recipes at some point. It was at such an event back in 2004 where I threw a hissy fit in the middle of dinner and stormed out in front of my ex sister in laws parents and my drunken aunt because my brothers brats were at their very worst and my brother did nothing about it.

14 comments:

  1. So basically, it's the Danish version of Thanksgiving! You share a big meal with family members, and the feuds and fights break out--with or without the alcohol! Then there's a sale going on the day after!

    Happy Morten's Aften!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooog. I loathe Family Feud Day.

    Still, Happy Pete's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we all have hissy fits on Pete's Day?? Excellent!!! I'm very good at hissy fits!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bingowings: The only difference is, we don't pretend to be thankful.

    Thank you! I'll enjoy the sale.

    IDV: YAY for Pete's Day!

    Every day is Pete's day, as it should be.

    Scarlet: Of course!

    Hissy fits ahoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouldn't St. Pete's Day be all about shoe shopping?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh for Duck sake!
    It would be easier if everyone got goosed like they are supposed too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MJ: Not all about shoe shopping but it is part of it.

    Donnnnnnnnnnn: True, but the only thing I'd eat from a goose is fois gras and that's only because it's politically incorrect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, let me get this straight... this Martin character told everyone to eat goose cuz they tattled on him when he was hiding, but the ducks are more affordable, so the geese get off scott free, and the ducks are toast.

    What did the ducks do to deserve that? And did anyone check the geese for horseshoes up their cloacas???? (Technically, geese don't have asses, you see....)

    And how juvenile that this Martin guy couldn't just suck it up and say 'oh well' you caught me' - he had to try and make the geese pay for his silliness.

    *shakes head in bewilderment*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Geese don't have arses? Wow, you learn something new every day. I'm just sad that this was the one new thing I learned today.

    You are right on all accounts.

    Duck tasts mighty fine though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Birds and reptiles don't have arses. One opening for all things.

    Sounds a little messy, doesn't it?

    But at least you learned something new! Doesn't matter what it is or how useless it is, stash it away in your cranium to be pulled out at a later date when you can impress your friends with all the useless facts you know! I do that all the time. (And so does Donn, I bet!)

    I actually prefer wild duck (Mallard) over farm raised. Leaner and tastier. If you do eat wild duck, though, make sure it is a variety that does not eat fish.... fish flavoured duck is soooooo gross!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - geese slaughtering, forced bishoping, family feuding … what a complex and dramatic holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ponygirl: I sure will try to remember it!

    Ducks eating fish? That's a bit disgusting. I will look for one for Christmas. I will explain that in a later post because Christmas in Denmark is weird too.

    Tim: it is, isn't it?

    I kind of like that though why should holidays be simple all the time? Well it isn't a holiday, what do you call it?

    Remember to come back in 46 minutes. It won't be long now...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I most certainly do not..did you mention Monotremes?...anyway now that everyone knows about Cloacas, I suppose that you are going to tell them the truth about Santa and ruin Christmas too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what about Santa? *worries*

    Is he hurt?

    ReplyDelete